Pages

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

garage sAle!
One thing i love about spring is the beginning of the garage sale season. I love garage sales (i get this from my dad) I would say that about 75% of the furniture in our home is from a garage sale and is no longer it's original color. The above photo is a metal cabinet with 30 drawers in it that i bought at a garage sale in New Orleans. I think I paid about $20 for it. It has labels for each drawer, some of the include.. scissors, pink ribbon, beads and baubles, large pucnhes, craft notions, sewing notions... My girlfriend Kelly F. helped me organize it last year. I needed someone to step in and help me do it. It is such a great storage cabinet and hold all my treasures, yet i would be thrilled if i had two more of these.
this weekend will be the first weekend of the start of garge sales around here, i am getting my bag of change ready.

11 comments:

Amie said...

Oh, I am so jealous...I love organizing things. 30 DRAWERS! I can't even imagine! A fabulous find!

Jill said...

I'm jealous too. I love the cabinet. I always think I want to go to garage sales, but have never really gone. Perhaps my desire to stay "in the cozy" on Saturday mornings keeps me from hitting the sales early. People around here are serious garage salers and I don't know that I'm a worthy contender. We had a garage sale 2 years ago and people were pulling in at 6:45am while we were still setting up!

everything pink! said...

the garage sale secret is to find ones that are on friday.
at least in the south there are a lot of friday ones. you don't have to get up so early.they are where i have found my best stuff.

amy gretchen said...

Such an awesome find. I need to check garage sales more often. What a steal.

Amy said...

It hurts my heart that you found something so great at a grage sale. We have some friends from Minnesota who were telling us about all of the fabulous garage sales in their neighborhood. All of the clothes they had for their baby (really, really cute stuff--all very high end) were from garage sales. I'm wondering if a good garage sale exists in Utah. Thanks for the tip. If the rain and snow ever stop maybe we'll head out on a Friday morning to see what we can find!

Amy said...

This is an amazing find. I also love garage sales, don't really get to them much here but growing up my Mom loved them. I do frequent thrift stores and have found some pretty great stuff there as well... love your blog!!

michelle said...

Holy crap. If I found something like that I would be in high heaven! I seriously wonder if it's even possible to find something so cool at a Utah garage sale...

Tasha said...

I never get the kind of stuff you find at garage sales! you are the queen! Those drawers are awesome! I think I lack the vision of what the items *could* become!
Tasah

Jennifer said...

Love, Love , Love this! Okay-I may be behind the times but how do you get white ink to print or did you reverse out the text? I have to know!Ohio is great for yard sales too-even better people here never take stuff to Goodwill they just put really great stuff out on their tree lawn the night before garbage day and people drive around and pick it up. Whatever they don't pick up the garbage guys do. the garbage guys will take anything here-even appliances and refridgerators!

everything pink! said...

what you do is print a black background with with text on top.

http://tennesseecutlers.smugmug.com/gallery/1303356/1/59871151

here is a close up of the printing

jt said...

Painful. I am so jealous I am in pain.