Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

i finished it in the nick of time.
Tonight I finished "The Diary of Mattie Spenser" by Sandra Dallas. This is the second book by her that I have read and now plan to read every single one. It was great and again am sad to see my book end.
This afternoon I took a break from cleaning to try to finish it. I was emotional as it was with the move but then the events of the last chapter threw me over the edge. I was crying so hard. Good thing I was home alone. I have never had to blow my nose from crying from reading a book.
First entry in her diary from her book.
May 9, 1865. Fort Madison, Iowa.

My name is Mattie Faye McCauley Spenser. I am twenty-two years old, and this is my book. It was given to me on Sunday last by Carrie Collier Fritch on the occasion of my marriage to Luke McCamie Spenser. Carrie says I am to use it to record my joys and sorrows, and to keep a thorough record of our wedding trip overland to Colorado Territory and the events in the life of an old married woman. Then I'm to send it back to her.

Well, maybe I will, and maybe I won't.


I am such a softie for these pioneer women, who quilt and struggle through life books. Today when I thought my life was so rough, I realized it could be worse and to take some advice from Mattie and make the best of it.
Favorite quote from the book. (how timely for me)

I said at the outset that I was practical and not given to pretty phrases. So it was right that Luke did not promise me a home in a dell. I will not make Husband sorry he brought me here. I shall content myself with the blessings I have, believeing, as the song-writer says, "Better-times a-comin"


So now on the Killer Angels.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are giving me a great list of books that I want to read. WAY TO GO!!!

amy gretchen said...

Sounds like a great book. You are really making me want to read.

michelle said...

I'm glad you loved this book, it is one of my favorites. Now I am sad that I sent you Persian Pickle Club instead of Mattie Spenser, which was my original intent. Oh well. I just finished New Mercies by Dallas and loved it as well. I'm so excited that you cried and had to blow your nose at the end of a book! and that you now know the bittersweet feeling of not wanting a book to end...

Jill said...

I'm so glad you loved this book, and I'm so thrilled that you needed to blow your nose after reading it. That's definitely the sign of a good book.

I love reading the quotes you like from the books you're reading.

Now, which copy of Killer Angels with you be reading? You have 3 or 4 right?