Pages

Monday, August 14, 2006

Fake Potatoes
Who knew there was such a thing. I sure didn't. A few years ago my friend (Sonja D.) brought me dinner and she had brought mashed potatoes with the meal. I had been thinking for days, I can't believe she took the time to make me mashed potatoes, that takes forever!
Then she revealed "oh they were just fake potatoes" I had no idea what she was talking about.
See I have a husband who owns his own potato ricer and is a purist when it comes to mashed potatoes.
One day at costco, I saw this Idahoan brand of potatoes that were made with red potatoes. ( I could not find photo of packaging) I made them and tricked Jeff and he thought they were real. It was a true triumph for me.
Tonight we had the missionaries over for dinner and used our last bag. I have not seen them at our Costco here, so I looked up their website to see if I could email them and I found the funniest thing. You Idaho people are going to love this.
You can play attack of the killer Potato video game on their website. It is the farmer version of asteroids.
Any way if you see these it is worth a try and trick your family and see if it works.
Have you ever tried "fake potatoes" before?

10 comments:

Liz said...

I can't believe you've never had "instant" or fake potatoes before. Unbelievable! YOu have to try the kind from the Church cannery. I remember in NOLA picking up an order from the Guillot's, and Bro G asked me if I'd ever had them before, I said no, and he said he just loved them. So I got some, and he was right, they are great. Try some, you'll like them!

P.S. that game sounds pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

I am with Jeff man- real is the way to go. I didn't have fake ones until after I was married and I was so grossed out. Linc grew up eating the fake ones, so when I made some real ones for the first time he acted like it was the best thing in the world. I do keep a can of the cannery ones around for when Mya wants some, or he wants a quick fix or something.

becca said...

This is so funny! I have never tried that brand although I love fake potatoes!!

Amy said...

Oh, yeah, I'm all about fake potatoes. Well, ok, I only make them for Kaitlin when I'm making something I know she won't eat. But still. We have a ton of fake potatoes from Costco--not Idahoan, some other brand. But to me they all taste the same.

Jill said...

I grew up with fake potatoes because my dad doesn't like real mashed potatoes, so I love them. I like real ones too, but they sure are a lot of trouble. We had Idahoan fakies yesterday and loved them.

Tasha said...

I can't stand fake potatoes, I can always, always tell if they are fake....

I love that you were going to email the company. You are the best kbc!

Heather said...

We just had the "fake" potatoes the other night. They are okay, but I am a real fan of real potatoes. I think mostly because it gives me such good memories of my grandfather who passed away. At any family dinner we had that included potatoes, he was the man. They always were the best when he made them.

Kari Lynne said...

I used to make those all the time for this family that I spent one summer babysitting. I don't mind eating them so much. My mom hates them, but she makes EVERYTHING homemade. She had never made a box cake in her life, if you can imagine. Spencer likes those fakes potatoes and he is a master at making them. Mine never turn out like his. There must be a trick to it. It kinda crazy but I love to make real mashed potatoes and have tried to master that many times.

michelle said...

so funny. How is that you never knew about instant potatoes? I can always tell the difference, and Marc doesn't like the fake ones, but I kinda do. It's a different kind of mashed potatoes, and I embrace them all. I like the ones from the cannery, and I make myself some occasionally when I need comfort food. I like to eat them with frozen peas. Okay, I am officially embarrassed now. :)

Anonymous said...

where have you been?!...i can't believe you have never had them. They are pretty good but i would choose homemade over fake any day.