Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Arlington National Cemetery

catching my breath.

It always seems that when family comes in town I get behind on blogging about all the fun stuff we do. (I never even posted about David and Lenessa's Thanksgiving adventures). So here is a little catch up.

we had a great time with Jeff's brother and his family. I think they saw more of the city than many people do who live here their whole lives. We don't let visitors off easy with only seeing one or two things.
Saturday's list consisted of :
  • Top of the Washington monument (if you ever do this order tickets early!)
  • Natural History Museum. Caroline had fallen asleep and woke up all wet. So she was cruising the museum in a diaper. I was still at the swim meet so Jeff broke one of his rules of shopping in a gift shop and bought a shirt. Then went outside and found a street vendor who was selling shorts. Since Saturday Caroline has worn the outfit everyday and loves it. While my favorite Olive Juice dress stays in the drawer. Who knew I could have just been wardrobe shopping off the D.C. streets.
  • we had lunch at the National Museum of the Native American. It is our favorite place to eat and it is sad that I know the guy Mark who works there from all our visits.
  • we did the Air and Space museum and buying mini metal planes for the girls kept them occupied in the crowded museum. (the most visited Smithsonian on the mall) . I bought one Kitty Hawk and one Space Shuttle. When the lady was ringing me up I asked her how much the space shuttle was, she then asked me which one was the Space Shuttle? kind of funny
  • The American History Museum is closed until 2008, so they have the highlights in Air and Space. Dorthy's red shoes, Kermit the frog, a piece of the Nauvoo Temple, this cool quilt and some other highlights (Chanel I thought of you, I hope you got to see this when you came) It is a bible quilt
  • This is probably my favorite photo of the day. Scott and Melissa literally running in and out of the National Art Museum. It was not worth taking the 7 kids in for a quick look. And can I just say she had a baby 5 weeks before this. She is amazing!
  • we then went home while they explored some more monuments
We had a wonderful time and the cousins just had so much fun together.

On a Caroline note. This girl has completely taught herself how to swim these past few weeks. She is so determined! She has no fear and now is practicing to do the back stroke. There is a lot of sinking involved but she still gives it her best.


in our garden:
my pink hydrangeas are getting ready to be cut. My first cut batch to dry for the year.
we planted two zucchini plants and have had lots to put on the grill.we planted 3 tomato plants and hope we will be in town when they all finally turn red.


we were at Target today and to my surprise found Annie Kate's school list in the school supply section so we got all of her 3rd grade supplies. I love shopping for the supplies and am sad now they encourage you to buy the prepaid packs. This was such a fun thing I remember doing with my mom each year. I loved buying the Red Chief tablets.
last but not least, some of my recent good mail consisted of 4 passports for all the girls in our family. We leave in 3 days for Europe with our all 5 of us! We will be exploring Germany, Austria and Switzerland. We have checked out lots of books, netflixed some movies and even watched the Sound of Music to get the girls excited. So why am I sitting her blogging when I need to be packing.... avoiding responsibility I guess.

Pink Christmas details. sign up before Saturday because after that it will be a few weeks before I can answer emails.

28 comments:

Jill said...

I should be training now so I can keep up with you when we come to visit you this fall. I want to make sure I have the stamina to handle it all. I may need to invest in one of those running belt thingies like Holly so that I can have water and powerbars on hand. Ha.

I can't believe all the school supplies are out already. It's too hot to think about school shopping isn't it?

I'm excited for your trip to Europe, but really wish you could blog while you're there. How will we go for 2 weeks without you?

Anonymous said...

We start school here August 10, hard to believe. I scored on glue sticks last night (2 for .20).

Can't wait to see your Europe pics.

everything pink! said...

jill, i think i will try to update a little on our trip, but will be giving myself a email break.

Elisa said...

So excited for your Europe trip! I LOVE the Sound of Music. How very very exciting.

I will not be visiting you or Lisa until after 2008 (not that we have any vacation plans anytime soon or far)...the American History Museum is my favorite and the highlights just won't do! I can live without the Air and Space Museum, what can I say I am just not a geek about science.

Lauralee said...

teaching herself to swim.. there is a lot of sinking involved.. but she is determined.. that cracks me up.. my little kids think they are fish too.. don't care if they sink.. just keep on trying.. very cute

Europe! what a dream! enjoy and I look forward to the pictures!

Anonymous said...

The picture of you and your girls with your passports made me cry. (Perhaps I'm a crazy hormonal person!) I am so,so excited for you to do this! Just love you guys.

sockiepuppetsmom said...

How exciting! My oldest and I went to Europe when she was almost 4 and she still remembers everything.

Adam Buchanan said...

hey you got your pack right? Have a great trip!

That thing will be your favorite thing to lug around and use.

Liz said...

It is always so fun to read about your adventures in DC!

I am so excited for you all to be going to Europe! You will have so much fun! I can't wait to here your reports and see your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Aye, Yi Yi! I had no idea you were waiting for passports because there was a trip planned! Oh, have a great time!

Lindsay said...

How sad the American History museum is closed. That is my favorite Smithsonian. I love the First Ladies' dress exhibit. And the Star Spangled Banner. Powerful.

Enjoy Europe. I was able to spend two months there with the BYU Folkdancers way back when. My favorite city--Prague--is not in the countries on your list. But if you ever get the chance, go there. Salzburg was cool too. Going there?

Shauna said...

Get packing and enjoy every minute!
Bon Voyage!

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for you, your family, and especially your little girls. They will love that trip! It's such a wonderful thing for a parent to offer travel to their children- what a blessing. I will never forget when my dad took me to England when I was 8. Such great memories!!!!

Oh, and how fun to have family in town- you are a great tour guide.

Price Cream Parlor said...

WOW! I didn't know that you were taking your littles as well! Can't wait to hear about your trip! Have a fantastic time!!!

Chanel Palmer said...

I'm so glad you got to see Melissa and her family.

I did not get to see the bible quilt. We had both been to the Air and Space before so we skipped it not knowing they had all the highlights from the American History there- such a bummer!

I love Jeff's rule about gift shops. Please tell him that when I was 6 and my Sister was 8 my Grandpa took us to the Zoo in Phoenix. He was furious that we were more excited by the gift store then the animals so we left and got a huge lecture the whole way home.

I'm so glad that you guys are going to Europe!!!! There are some opportunities that you can't let pass you by. Have a great time!

Kristen said...

Such a great post! I didn't realize you leave for Europe in a few days, WOW! I hope you have a wonderful time. Oh the post that will be hearing about your trip, I can't wait :)

Holly said...

I think it's awesome y'all pack so much in on your outings with all the little people in tow. The picture of Caroline in the museum in her diaper is too funny--wouldn't you know vendor clothes would be her favorite!
Have a fabulous adventure touring parts of Europe! Can't wait to hear about it and see it through your eyes and words. Be safe.

Missy said...

* You are such a trooper. Now that I have just moved back to Virginia, I need to hire you to take us on a tour so we see all of the things we need to experience!!
* Your sister in law looks amazing! After 5 months, I still have a ways to go!
* I cracked up about Caroline loving the t-shirt and shorts bought while sightseeing. My girls are the same way! All of the beautiful, carefully chosen clothing takes a back seat to the neon green t-shirts from vacation bible school and the "so and so visited wherever and all I got was this t-shirt"!
* I didn't realize the American History Museum is closed. I am so sad. It has always been one of my favorites. I love the first ladies' dresses, the Star Spangled Banner and the Vietnam Wall memorabilia.
* Your garden looks terrific! Sadly, that is one thing we didn't get to do this year because of the big move. I had planted a hydrangea each year that I lived in South Carolina - the endless summer brand - and they were so gorgeous when I left - all blue. I was going to try my friend's trick of drying them in cornmeal in the microwave. Do you have a special trick? Last year we got no tomatoes because the girls ate them right off the plant!
* I know just what you mean about the joy of shopping for school supplies. Last week Georgia bought a pack of pencils, a pencil case, 3 pencil sharpeners (not sure why she felt she needed 3!), a pink folder, and a pink notebook - all for a whopping $.39 total!!
* I don't know how we will all survive without your blog for the next couple of weeks. I may just have to go through the archives all the way to the beginning and start over just so I don't go through withdrawals! Have a safe and super fun trip!

Elizabeth said...

Have fun on your trip. The sound of music tour is so fun. Make sure to get a picture of the girls spinning around in the alps like Maria.

Tyler said...

Oh WOW have a blast on your trip!

Ashley said...

Oops I commented as my husband, but that was me!

Barb said...

Have a great holiday! I will be interested in hearing the story of how you decided to go on a European vacation and how you chose which countries to see. I love the passport picture.

Liz Snowden said...

What a fun visit! I am so jealous, Europe! Can't wait to read about it when you get back!

lahdeedaa said...

hey Kristi

I am new here, but just wanted to wish you a fun trip to some of my favorite parts of the world (I was born and raised in Switzerland) :)
Hope you enjoy--we'll be in Switzerland from the 11th-18th (or so) of August. When will you be there? And where? We'll wave to you guys
;)

Bevan said...

Auf Wiedersehen, viel gluck, tschuss, und habe eine kleine chokolat mit den pancakes! Malzeit!

Bevan said...

Der Schweiz ist Toll!

sorichfamily said...

kristi....i just love your blog! it makes me smile! you and your family are so darling! we just returned from europe a few days ago and i wanted to let you know how much fun it was, especially taking the kids. we really loved Salzburg and LOVED the Sound of Music tour that you take on the bus. don't know if that helps, i'm sure you have tons of fun planned....have a great trip!

michelle said...

The pictures of your hydrangeas and the garden are amazing! And the one with all you girls with your passports is a treasure. I have to say I am a little jealous about the Sound of Music tour. Have a wonderful time!