Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2007


Challenge - where do you go to get away from it all?

This was a great challenge and I was so excited since I totally missed last weeks SPT.

I have two.



The first place I go to get away is the left hand, lower shelf of my spice cabinet. No, I don't fit in there but I always seem to go there when I am stressed, happy and excited or just need a break. Look closely do you see anything hiding in there. (I hope my husband does not read this post and figure out my secret.)




I seem to always have hiding in the back behind the spices my secret stash of goodies. And for me that is a Ritter Candy bar. They are the most awesome Candy bars, yummy and packaged oh so cool. You break the candy bar in half to open the wrapper. They have 16 mini squares. I always think of my friend Mindy that this candy bar would last her 16 days, as she has enough self control to eat a piece a day. I now can go a few days on one, but not 16. The blessing of this candy bar is I never buy any kind treat at the grocery store or such, because nothing can compare to it's goodness and a bag of m&m's just don't do it for me anymore after discovering these (thanks to Pam in Chicago) I can get them cheap at the commissary but I also discovered them at Target. I realize hiding and sneaking food could also be called an "eating disorder" and for now I am fine with that.

My other place I go to is very new for me and I just found it in April of this year.


it is the road
it is where I run, where I cry, where I curse myself for spending the last 36 years not taking care of myself. Funny, in that way, it makes the pain more bearable sometimes because I feel like I deserve it.
but running has been my new passion and total therapy. I have ran or walked 297 miles since April 16th. My feet are killing me, I have a great tan, I cried (seriously tears) at the store when they wouldn't return my $130 shoes like they told me they would, i have a secret running blog that I update daily and now have an awesome running mix of songs on my ipod.

So running at eating candy bars could not be more of the extreme but what is funny is they seem to justify the other. When I eat the chocolate I tell myself, "you better run today after that" when I walk in the door from running I say, "you are awesome go get some chocolate behind the spices, you deserve it"

thanks again Lelly - I just can't say enough how awesome these challenges are. If you want to do SPT, email Lelly and then just do them!

27 comments:

Unknown said...

i could have included "the road" as a very special place for me, too. having completed 6 months of walking (almost) daily, i miss doing it more than i mind doing it.

some of these spt challenges are created on those walks. it is soooo "my time."

now, about that secret blog... are you sure you shouldn't retake the blog addiction quiz?!?

everything pink! said...

Lelly, no kidding. I actually have 4 blogs and was shocked that it was only 65%. i think the fact that i never have the time to read any others contributed to my seemingly low score.

chloe said...

Secret running blog...I'm thinking about separating mine myself. If you have any great song suggestions, please send them my way. Yummy, yummy chocolate.

chloe said...

oh...and seriously impressive mileage...way to go!

Holly said...

I think that there is a balance between running and the Ritter bars, or at least a trade-off--we've gotta have motivation right?!? You have covered an outstanding distance these last several months--and deserve a loud Woo-Hoo! I'm glad that running gives you "your own" time and therapy when you need it. ;)
My heart cringed when I heard about your shoes--that's terrible! How are your feet doing now?

everything pink! said...

holly,my feet are killing me!
our friend is a ortho foot guy and i went to him and he looked at me and said welcome to running. i was looking for a quick fix.
the story of the shoes is really funny and i should write about it sometime. so eventually when i find a shoe that works, i hope the pain will go away.

Marie said...

I love your conflicting sources of comfort. But you are right. They do compliment each other too.

Even when I am doing well on an exercise regiment, I don't see it as an escape. I like the feeling when I am done, but I don't like the during. I wish I was more like that, how you are.

everything pink! said...

marie. i set a goal and it made all the difference

Jill said...

I'm so impressed that you've become a runner this year and that it's actually a source of escape and comfort to you. (I understand why, I'm just nowhere near being fine with jiggling body parts yet and therefore will stick to walking.)

A candy bar in the cupboard is good thing, especially if you can make it last a few days.

sista # 2 said...

Why won't they accept your shoe return? My hubs is going to mail his shoes back to Nike for a full refund, as suggested by the store.Maybe you want to check into that option. Janae

Ashley said...

I love the chocolate behind the spices. I need to start hiding the Oreos, not because my husband will eat them but because I don't like the look he gives me when the bag is empty after 2 days.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through a friend. I hear ya about the road. I enjoy running not only for the physical exercise but the mental break as well. I loved your previous post about the songs you run too to forget your are running (I actually downloaded a couple that people suggested).

Anne said...

Hi miss sexy legs! What awesome pics. I totally cracked up at the chocolate.

Elizabeth said...

I have a Ritter Bar hiding behind my spices right now. Hazelnut, yum. It doesn't last long though, mostly because my husband has found my stash spot.

Amanda said...

just bought my first pair of "real" running shoes today. I ran on the treadmill and everything at the store and was fitted. so exciting. These are my two escapes as well...except I have to add the diet coke. haven't kicked that yet. there is nothing like chocolate, diet coke and a good run.

jenny said...

I hope you find good shoes. It seriously makes ALL the difference. I have recently converted (the past 2 years) to New Balance. They are awesome!! Doug says that you should never have to break in a pair of shoes. They should be comfy from the get go. Good luck! Congrats on running so much. I have been doing it in AZ because I am without a stroller and my entire body aches!! It takes a toll for sure, but like you I do it so I can eat candy :)

joslyn said...

oh how i love the coconut ritter. i get them at cost plus market and they are divine.

Rachel said...

I stash my candy there, as well! Going to have to check Target for this coveted candy bar ad try it for myself!
Good for you with the running! Something I need to commit to myself! A great SPT!

Bond Girl 007 said...

hey kristi i think that combo is just fine and dandy...cool shots, the good thing is that after building muscle you can increase your calorie intake because muscle burns more...so there

Barb said...

Lelly totally deserves our thanks for these SPT. They add a great facet of self examination and I learn more about other bloggers through SPT than any other way.
I considered running also, but I'm just so tired this week.
Cool shadow pictures.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it! We all need little escape/chocolate hiding places : ) I think that walking/running is also a good time for a good cry.

((hugs))
Katie

Laura said...

OK first of all, LOVE your birthday tribute!
Second of all, I NEED to find one of those candy bars! We dont have a Target, I wonder if Fred Meyer carries them?

Shauna said...

What perfect escapes! They are the best compliment!

Liz said...

Kristi, I had to laugh when I looked closely at your spice cupboard, because I too have chocolate hidden in mine and also on a shelf in my scrap area. Don't tell my kids, but my husband has already found me out!! A little taste of chocolate once a day or every other day is all I need sometimes to make a day go better!

rebecca said...

A friend has a well-known track coach for a client - we were thrilled when he told us that his favorite time to train women was when they were in their 30's! Don't feel bad about starting this late... keep it up! Good for you!

patsy said...

I bought my first Ritter Sport candy bar yesterday after reading your blog. I saw them at the check out in target & WOW- I am so proud of you for running-& keeping it up- Way To Go!!

michelle said...

Miss sexy legs -- I love it, and it's true! You runners are so inspiring to me. Sadly, I don't have the knees to be a runner, but I suppose I could become a hard-core walker. I have secret stashes of chocolate, too. Now I just need to get in the exercise to offset it!