Pages

Monday, October 22, 2007

First day back.

I think I only have a few more marathon posts up my sleeve and I will back to posting on my private running blog, so bare with me.
I am now 8 days post marathon and am walking totally normal, am now wearing normal clothing and not my marathon shirt every day, even though I do sleep in it. I am online every day trying to figure out my next race or run. We will be on Vacation for Thanksgiving and spent the other night looking to see what runs they had in that town. I actually almost signed up for the Richmond VA marathon that is in two weeks - but realizing that I am totally obsessive compulsive I am baby stepping to that one. (feel free to tell me I am totally crazy, because everyone else is)
I am a firm believer and walking proof you don't have to look like a runner to be one. Because I don't - but still have to plans to someday. I have added a new section to my sidebar called, "Anyone can run" and have added some of my running resources. Even though I don't look like a runner this next story still is perplexing me.
On Saturday I went to a garage sale and with just Sally Jane. I was holding her on my hip. I was wearing my skinny pants that have not fit in FOREVER. Still on cloud 9. When I walked up to the driveway the owner of the home greeted me and asked if I was looking for anything. I said no. She then said, "oh well I do have some great maternity clothes you might be interested in"
If I have said this once on my blog I have said it a million times, I get asked every 6 weeks if I am pregnant. It is a curse! In fact the month I made the decision to make some serious changes in my exercise I was at a birthday party with my local ward and overheard a girl ask a friend of mine when I was due. My friend said, "I don't think she is pregnant" and then the girl asked are you sure? This was one of the straws that broke the camels back of me deciding to train and is on my upcoming motivation list.
I looked at the lady at the garage sale, like "are you kidding me?" I left the garage sale on cloud 8 but didn't care what she said because I bet she didn't run a marathon last Saturday, even though she looked like she could have. Darn that cute girl who I am sure never meant to hurt my feelings even though she did.
So, that was some seriously rambling and back to my first day back at the gym. It was AWESOME. I was so excited to get back and do something. I was welcomed back by all my cheesy Disney Mom songs on my IPOD. I felt some pain, but in a weird sort of way enjoyed it. Have I gone mad?
One of the biggest things training for this has helped me overcome is putting time for myself. I don't mind checking my kids into the nursery at the gym anymore. It is so hard sometimes getting them out the door and dressed to get to the gym and in the past I would have just stayed home, but now it does not seem to bother me. This is a huge thing for me.

19 comments:

Jules said...

Wow, I have missed your blog a lot! I was out of town from Oct 15 - 21. The two recipies were awesome, one for a craft, and one for pumpkin bread. CONGRATS on running a marathon, that is so awesome! You are so impressive! I love that you wrote on your feet with your sharpie marker. Thanks for blogging. I love your blog!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I can't believe in this day and age that people have not learned not to ask people or to imply that they are pregnant!! What is wrong with them??

Sorry you had to go through that!!

I think you look great...a marathon holy cow!!

Melissa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I came here this morning and immediately saw that drawing done by Sarah in the giveaways and went to buy it because it is just perfect for my daughters room. Thanks again for stopping by my blog, we have our first morning of frost on the ground here in Mn so I'm a little chilly this morning trying to get my brain warmed up for the day.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for you! I'm so excited for you and all the wonderful plans your making. I really can't believe some people and the things they let come out of their mouth. Good for you to be able to shrug it off and not let it ruin your day. You're so inpsiring.

michelle said...

Seriously. I fear every day I will be asked when my baby is due -- but I do look pretty pregnant! You, however, do not. What was she thinking?

How cool that you are wearing your skinny pants! And that you are not feeling guilty about taking time for yourself! You go, girl.

Liz said...

Kristi, thanks for being so open about your running and the whole reasoning behind it. I know I need to get busy doing some kind of exercising, and hearing about you just doing it is such a motivation!

Lauralee said...

I have been asked if I am pregnant.. when I haven't been.. not fun! once when I was a teller at a bank, I was engaged.. just home from my mission.. and this guy was like.. so when are you due? I said.. oh I am not "due" he was like oh don't be shy.. you can tell me.. I was like WHAT THE HECK? it was crazy he wouldn't drop it.. crazy! I had one of those drop waist dresses that was loose.. I was a lot smaller than I am now.. to think.. people just don't!

so I totally empathize with that.. I am so looking forward to your motivation list.. I hope I can find things to identify with!

you are an inspiration... really you are!

Jill said...

Congrats on going back to the gym. I think 8 days post-marathon is impressive. You're walking normal and fitting into your skinny jeans, wow!

I don't know what possesses anyone, especially another woman, to assume someone is pregnant. It's ridiculous! I'm sorry you left the garage sale on Cloud 8 instead of 9, but I'm sure she didn't run a marathon the week before!

chloe said...

I wish I looked as good as you...and I haven't had any children. But I love that running a marathon seriously trumps all of those feelings (or almost). I have loved reading about your experience. I get teary eyed. I hope you decide to join us for the rock n roll!

Mandy said...

I'm so sorry someone said that to you. That has happened to me before and it knocks the wind right out of me. I keep reading the blogs of all of these cute pregnant girls and thinking I am bigger than they are and for no reason.

I think you are awesome to want to continue running marathons. I am also glad that you are so proud of yourself. You should be!

denice said...

A few comments/thoughts-
Glad you're still feeling great about the marathon now that you can move normally again. I hope you feel that way forever because it is such a huge accomplishment. You mentioned your private blog and I am cuious - how long each day do you spend blogging? I'm amazed at your fabulous blog and wonder where the time to take care of it comes from? I guess that's a question for all bloggers too (i'm not one, just a lurker).

Next thought - weight training is the best way to change your body. I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times and you probably already do it but I just had to throw that out there.

Last thought - way back before I had children when I was quite tiny I was asked when my baby was due. Looks have nothing to do with it. Bad manners do.

Kristen said...

I'm still so impressed that you ran a marathon! You have motivated me to "consider" it after I have my baby as a way to try to get back into shape. I may start at a half marathon though and work my way up. But you have motivated me to even want to maybe consider this :)

Ashley said...

Like Jules I just got back in town and caught up on the marathon--Wow and congrats!

Michelle Alley said...

People should really keep most comment to themselves! Glad to hear your first day back at the gym is going well. I've never been a big fan of gyms, too many people watching me. Crazy huh? Anyway, can't wait to hear about your next run!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I also had someone ask me when I was due - last december at a Christmas party for my husband's work. I pretended like I didn't hear her at first, so she asked really loudly "are you pregnant?" at a table where everyone heard. I said "no, are you?" I cried that night and decided it would never happen again. I joined weight watchers the next month (after the holidays, of course) and lost almost 40 pounds. (Went from size 16 to an 8.) There's nothing so motivating as an unintended insult. I guess I should feel grateful that she gave me the motivation to really change. People should still be more diplomatic. Oh, and yes, people still ask me if I'm pregnant.

Jinii said...

I can't believe the nerve of people. I have just learned never to ask if anyone is pregnant until it is definately obvious. I am glad you have the workout bug. You make me so motivated.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking what Jill said- why would another woman ever assume? Then comment if she didn't know?!?!? Sorry you left a little lower, but I think it speaks volumes that you chose to not let it bring you all the way down because YOU RAN A MARATHON last week! Skinny jeans, working out, you are so my hero.

Barb said...

So in church 2 Sundays ago I got congratulated for having my new baby! What? Did I look 9 months pregnant the Sunday before? Do I look post-partum now?

crystal said...

Hey girl, I saw your marathon pictures and was jealous of your hottie legs, so take my word for it...you do not look pregnant! That's coming from someone (me) who peeked at pics of you in a running tank and shorts. So tell (belatedly--you'll have to do it in your head) that garage sale lady to stuff it.