Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley raises the 2002 Olympic torch high as the torch reaches the Church Administration Building.
(Photo from Deseret News.)
How far would you go?

Are you ready for a challenge? This Saturday Marathon Mommy ( a awesome website encouraging women to get on their feet) is issuing a challenge to anyone of any religion to ask themselves "how far would you go?"

In honor of President Hinckley's life they are encouraging women to take on the challenge to get on their feet. You can walk, you can run or you can stroll - but just do it in honor of a man who was an incredible example of living life to the fullest and being as healthy as you can be.
If you have been wanting to get active or if you run every day take a minute and challenge yourself to 1 mile or 100 and while you do you can reflect on his life.

here are a few ideas


  • download a some of his conference talks on your ipod and listen to them while your walk/run

  • write the 9 b's on your hand and think about how you can apply them to your life Be Grateful - Be Smart - Be Clean - Be True - Be Humble - Be Prayerful - be Positive - Be still - Be involved

  • put a photo of him in your pocket of your jacket (of course this would apply to all those in freezing running weather... burrr!

  • ask yourself, "how far would you go for the prophet or leader of your church?"

  • set a goal higher than you think you can go and watch yourself be amazed when you walk/run with a purpose.
Jen, a local reporter, in Salt Lake City Utah for KUTV 2 is doing a story on all your blogger women out there, so take a minute and sign up on Marathon Mommy and pick your mileage goal

I thought this was a wonderful memory that Jeffrey R. Holland made at his 84th birthday. Getting on your feet this Saturday is a good start to have someone say this about you on your 84th birthday. (keep in mind he lived until he was 97)

“President Hinckley is the youngest 84-year-old anyone can remember. The brisk bounce in his step, the unrestrained buoyancy of his spirit, and his consuming appetite for hard work and long hours would be admired in a man half his age. President Gordon B. Hinckley looks young, acts young, and loves youth with all its potential and promise”




12 comments:

Amanda said...

Hooray! First to comment!

I've been praying for the desire to change and then I read this.

I am so inspired and trying to hold back tears.

There's just no good reason to delay starting any longer. I have to do it.

Thank you!

Letty said...

Thanks for the tip...I am really excited to join in the dedication run!

denise @ little ant design said...

OK Kristi I commited to running on Saturday and I'm freaked out. Not sure how many miles it will be - my goal...to download all Pres. Hinckley conference talks from 2007 to my i pod and run/walk for the duration of the talks.

I want to be a runner - you have been inspiring but I really am so new to this and I'm afraid that I am not capable of much. I am however inspired by the fact that this is for Pres. Hinckley so I am going to push myself.

Thanks for posting the challenge.

Liz said...

I'm so glad that I went to your blog tonight and saw your post. I've been debating whether I wanted to go ahead and do the 1/2 marathon this weekend or have an easier Saturday and do the 10K. After seeing this challenge, I'm definetely going to push myself and go for the 1/2. Thanks!!!

And I love all the ideas you gave on things to do while running...awesome!!

Erin said...

Kristi, you are a ray of sunshine! Thank you so much for the support of this idea. You have inspired me and so many out there! I just love you and sort of want to package myself in a cornflakes box and send myself to you!

Alisa said...

ok, this is perfect timing...I just got back on the treadmill yesterday. I am slow going, but I will go 2 miles for this!

charlotte said...

This is a great idea and a great way to commemorate such an amazing man--I'm in!

carlo said...

that is really cool. what a fantastic tribute...

Erin said...

Prophetic Passing



I imagine he's running to Marjorie now,

Yes, running, not waving his cane.

I see him embracing his father and mother

While they keep repeating his name.



I see him now meeting his forebears,

Brother Brigham and Joseph are there.

Sweet reunion of prophets, united by service

That only such noble men share.



I see him embraced by the Savior

While Father says, "Good and well done.

So faithful in stalwart endurance, I welcome

My noble, most excellent son."



I then hear the ripples of laughter

As he says the reception's just fine,

But he hopes that he'll get an assignment or two

Since there's no need to waste any time.



I can hear his clear voice in the stillness

At the close of this sweet Sabbath day,

Have faith and move forward ? there's work to be done.

President Hinckley would want it that way.





Anna M. Molgard

January 27, 2008

Amanda :-) said...

Oh, that poem is just lovely. I'm in awe of people who can create poetry, and so quickly like this.

Kristi (and all), good luck with your running. It's an inspiring gesture that I'm sure he'd have been quite struck by. He comes across as a man of action and what more fitting a gesture than to get off one's backside and run? And again, I'm in awe of the people who create these events in memory of people so quickly. I'd be umming and errring for ages about it all *rolls eyes*

Buffy said...

What a great plan for Saturday. I signed up...I'm in for 5. I actually am looking forward to running for a good cause. :D

Shauna said...

I love this!