Pages

Saturday, February 09, 2008


There is only one way to read,
but there is hundreds of way to be a reader

One of my favorite quotes is "There is only one way to run but hundreds of ways to be a runner" I remember the day I read that in a book sent to me by a good mail gal, Jen, from Washington.
It changed my whole attitude of being me the runner not what I always thought a runner was.

I decided that quote can apply to many talents I want to have. reading is one of them. I have never ever considered myself a good reader or even that I enjoyed it. I remember growing up being told in school that I was actually a bad one and had horrible comprehension. too bad they told me that in third grade because I never forgot it.

some of the reasons I don't enjoy reading.
  • i have a very short attention span
  • i get intimidated by the size of books
  • i am a "font freak" and don't like books with small print
  • i like pictures better than words.
  • i can't do anything with my hands while i read
  • it is hard for me to sit still for a very long time
  • i am horrible at comprehension
Jill introduced me into the world of blogging as well as into the world of reading. While I dream of being apart of a wonderful book club like hers for the girlfriends more than the reading - i can't seem to get over the fact that I can be a reader. she has told me time and time again for 2 years that I am a reader. I think it is starting to sink in.

She sent me the book "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate DiCamillo. It would take most of you half a day to read the book. Annie Kate and I read it together over the past two weeks.

I finished reading it to her last night and cried, seriously cried through the last 10 chapters. I am not sure if it is because of my emotional week and the fact I have not been out of bed since Tuesday evening (bronchitis). But I was crying so hard that Annie Kate would say, "Can you read that part again, I couldn't understand what you were saying. "

I loved this book! this book had a few key factors for me, they made me realize what I need to me looking for to find books that fit me.

  • wonderful cover that was graphically pleasing to the eye
  • odd shape 6.5" x 8" square
  • large large print
  • incredible artwork - yea pictures!
  • it was written for all ages
  • Tulane was where my husband went to school - even though it had nothing to do with the story
  • the book has it's own special features just like any DVD
Silly but true.

A few of my favorite lines that i had to cry through to read

The old doll said, "i wonder who will come for me this time. Some will come. Someone always comes. Who will it be?"
"I don't care if anyone comes for me, " said Edward
"But that is dreadful, " said the doll. "There's no point in going on if you feel that way. No point at all. You must be filled with expectancy. (great word of the year by the way if someone has not picked one!) You must be awash in hope. You must wonder who will love you, whom you will love next."

"Never in his life had Edward been cradled like a baby. Abilene had not done it. Nor had Nellie. And most certainly Bull had not. It was a singular sensation to be held so gently and yet so fiercely, to be stared down at with so much love. Edward felt the whole of his china body flood with warmth.

This book would make a GREAT Valentines gift, it is a story about the discovery of love. If you read it let me know if you loved it too. This was the first book in a long time I didn't cheat and read the end first. Now that is saying something.

Author Kate DiCamillo
See if Edward Tulane is visiting your town

19 comments:

Mrs. McDaniel said...

i have recently picked up reading again! I used to love reading as a kid. Thanks for the recommendation!

patsy said...

I feel exactly the same way about reading. I vividly remember not being in the "high reading group" in second grade. I just assumed from then on that I wasn't good at it.
I started reading last year when a friend kept asking me to be in her book group. I finally took on the challenge & it has been wonderful. Of course, our book group is nothing like Jill's...
It's amazing all these years- I thought I wasn't a good reader- I guess I'm not a great reader -
I loved this post.

Kim Sue said...

Carly and I read this a couple months ago and we both cried. But, we both loved it and in fact read it over again. I love to read, but have discovered a whole new way to be a reader by reading outloud with my daughter.

crystal said...

Oh, this IS a special book. I love it. You are such a tactile person; I loved reading your spec's of what it takes for you to like a book. My husband is like that--MUCH more visual & tactile.

michelle said...

How wonderful that Jill found a book that you loved so much! I really enjoy reading books with my children. It's a way of passing on my love of books to them, now they all love them as well. Hooray for being a reader!

Jill said...

This is a great review Kristi, I'm so delighted that you loved this book and that it reminded you that you're a reader. I love how you applied the running sentiment to this as well, there are definitely all kinds of readers.

carlo said...

oh my. is it a sad sign that i have tears over the few lines you pulled out. i don't think i could read it.

cass and i started because of winn dixie about 3 years ago and did not make it past the 2 or 3rd chapter b/c i cried so much.

(sometimes i hate being such a softie)

Amanda said...

I heard about this book from my sister who teaches 2nd grade. She loved this one as well. I think kids books are a great way to get back into reading if you've taken a hiatus. Another good one to read with AK is "Because of Winn-Dixie", or "Charlotte's Web" (can you say bawl?).

kara jayne said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I've read it to two of my four kids and cry more each time. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

tootie said...

I know exactly what you mean about feeling intimidated about certain activities. I decided for Lent to start reading the bible! I used to feel initmidated to read it, but I'm taking it slowly - and I'm enjoying it! It's a lot like my running experience, too.

Thanks for the reminder that we shouldn't hold ourselves back from doing something!

Lauralee said...

great quotes..
this is my madison's favorite book right now, they are reading it in class. I need to read it now!

j said...

what a great book review. i love that despite the fact that you feel like you're not a "reader" you read with annie kate. she'll remember that her whole life and appreciate it. and what a wonderful time to share-

you are amazing- i see all the things you do and think "i could never do all that!" i think it's awesome that you are trying new things and stretching yourself in new ways- it's inspired me a lot.

Traci said...

Oh, I am looking for a book to read! Thanks for the great review. I will be heading to the library next week to check it out.
I have a hard time reading too. I usually like to read non-fiction books. I just read the Twilight series and was amazed that I read them in one week, like most people were claiming to do!

Holly said...

I'll have to check out this book. Sounds like a great story to read together. We are just into longer picture books right now, but I can't wait to start reading chapter books together.

You ARE a reader!

Liz said...

We read this book about 3 years ago. We did the same as you reading it aloud to our girls. We all just LOVED it. You have to read another book by Kate DiCammillo, called "THe Tale of Desperaux", it is equally as good! I also love what she said about how the book came to be written. A young boy, a family friend, asked her if she would write a story about a mouse, and a princess. That is how she started writing it. So neat.

Jordan said...

I just picked this book up a few days ago!!

The 5 Bickies said...

I "ran into" this book at Costco days after reading your post. Who could pass it up for $5.99. I am reading it to my children before bed. We are about 100 pages in and have a hard time putting it down. I think we could easily sit and read/listen in one sitting until it's done. It's a wonderful story. Thank you for your post!

The 5 Bickies said...

one more thing...I am amazed at my children's compehension. They remember so many details when they are reading or being read to. I can read something and then have to go back and review within a couple of pages. At least we are reading!

Liz said...

I felt like I could have written that post. You described exactly what reading is like for me. I loved that there was nothing for your hands to do while you read. I can't even watch a movie without my hands needing to do something or I fall asleep. I'm just a busy body! Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm going to go get it today! Thanks for the encouragement!