Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Watch me grow.

In the spring Caroline was given a sunflower seed to plant and watch it grow over the summer, by the Kindergarten team. A symbol of how much she will grow in getting ready for Kindergarten. She planted the seed...
This was it growing

a few days later almost open

This is what it looked like right before we left on our trip

and this was how much it grew. This is just the head of the sunflower as all the leaves had fallen off by the time we got home. It is twice the size of her head!

Tomorrow is the first day of school for the two girls and Caroline will be in Kindergarten. I would love to be one of those mom's that says, "wow where has the time gone, I can't believe she is in Kindergarten" but it has felt like 6 years and it feels like it is time for her to go. I am sure I will cry my guts out tomorrow. Good thing I have a "Boo Hoo/Yahoo Breakfast" to go to with my friends. I think I will be feeling both emotions.

11 comments:

Alisa said...

HUGE- I love that the K-team sent the seed. What an amazing gift.
Boohoo/Yahoo breakfast ... that is a great title. Ours started a week and a half ago, and I cried. BUT now we are getting settled back into our school routine and I am enjoying it.
Good luck with getting all yours to school this week!

Kat said...

That is such a cool idea that they did. I love how big it got and the way her face is glowing while she is holding that flower is priceless! My son started Kindergarten this last week, and he is loving it. It gives me a break to get things done that I haven't done in a long time. Enjoy your time to get things done. :)

Marie said...

What a great thing to do to get ready for kindergarten. such a creative project.

Wow, that is one big sunflower.

michelle said...

That sunflower project is one great idea! I love the way it is so visual for the kids.

I have never felt sad when my kids started kindergarten, Kristi, and I am sure when Eva goes next year I will be celebrating big time!

Mommyof4 said...

What a great idea for a Boohoo/Yahoo breakfast. My daughter also started Kindergarten this year and I feel the same way--she is my hardest and I was so happy to see her take her energy somewhere else, but the second she sat down in her chair the tears started to well up in my eyes. So I made a quick exit before she saw me cry. But now I am enjoying the 3 hours of quiet each day!

Jill said...

These are great pictures of Caroline's sunflower! I can't believe how ginormous it ended up, wow!

Hooray for kindergarten, you've earned it!

Traci said...

how come out sunflower didn't grow as big s yours? my daughter got one while in 1st grade when learning about plants.
anyways, our pto did the boo-hoo/yahoo breakfast this year and it was hit!
good luck!

denise @ little ant design said...

Love the sunflower idea - how cute of the kindergarten team to do that.

I'm also loving the name of the breakfast "boo hoo/yahoo" that is brilliant!

Shauna said...

When my last child started Kindergarten, every kept asking me what I would do with my time and I told them I was going to sleep for the entire year. I didn't, but I certainly was ready for the the stage of having everyone is school.

I hosted the Boo-Hoo/Yahoo Breakfast at our school 2 weeks ago and the emotions were at every end of the spectrum.

Enjoy this new season!

LJ, DC and ML said...

what a HUGE sunflower! I can only imagine how much bigger it must have looked with the petals still in place too. Humongous! Way to go, sending the kiddos off to school. How exciting!

Liz said...

Oh, I LOVE this! What a fabulous idea! She looks so cute with her sunflower head! I hope it was a great first day all around!