Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

ButcHer!
Growing up we had one of these butcher blocks. We all loved it! I think it was one of my parents best purchases. I had always told myself when i had the space to have one i would buy one. I found this on a website for $1,300. Yikes.
I am so curious what my parents paid for theirs 35 years ago. So I guess my butcher block dream has come to a crashing end the small one that goes under my sink will have to do.
So i decided to document a few other things i loved in our house as a kid.
* the tiffany lamp in the kitchen
* the silver wallpaper that had velvet stripes
* the yellow furniture made out of pvc pipes
* the big green frog toy box
* the little navajo hut that burned inscense
* the black and white houndstooth chair (until someone etched I hate Kristi in the wood, feel free to defend)
* the awesome print of the prophets standing int he celestial room (my church building has the same print)
* our yellow floral couches
* the brown doughnut phone
* and i always wanted one of these!
think about what are some favorite things you had when you were a kid and write them in your journal so you don't forget.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krist, Oh my goodness, you have a great memory! We paid nothing for the butcher block table. My Mom and Dad gave it to us. Mom said it was just a gimmick from a calolog. Dad sold auto parts and this was bought with points he earned from selling a lot of Monroe shock absorbers. My Mom didn't think anyyhing she could get was of any quality, so I think that's why I got it. She was wrong.

Anonymous said...

Dad and I made the Tiffany lamp we ordered from a catalog, and left it with the house when we sold. I've been sorry sometimes.
The wallpaper could still be in that house.Hope Not!
I don't remember what happened to the yellow furniture. See if it is on E-Bay.
toy box broke off his head
Navajo hut and chair were probably sold at a garage sale.
AThe Prophets are in my closet, I think!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I had that brown doghnut phone too!

michelle said...

I have a butcher block very similar to that. My grandfather built it for my mom, and one for each of her sisters. I inherited it a couple of years ago when she moved to a house where it didn't fit. I love it so much, but she is threatening to take it back if and when she moves out to Utah (when they retire). If she does, I will miss it a lot!

everything pink! said...

of note. my brother spencer just called to tell me he got the butcher block. double rats.

Jill said...

You're lucky that you grew up in one place and have a home like that to remember. We moved so many times that I think things were always getting sold at garage sales so that my mom didn't have to pack them up and take them with us again and again. I'm sure if I stop and really think about it I can come up with some highlights from each house we lived in, thanks for the idea.