Pages

Friday, April 14, 2006



Cutler Bunny Traditions!
I am finally getting around to posting our Bunny traditions. (Our new Christ centered traditions have been amazing but i will wait to recap the whole week on Sunday.)
I have said before that my mom did Holidays up to the top! And Easter was no exception.
* There were 6 kids so we each had a color of eggs that were our to hunt. So for my girls I tie a colored ribbon on their basket so they know which colors they get to hunt for (since there our only two hunters this year)
*Then we always had one egg that was the biggest and it had something special inside, $1.00 bill or a full size candy bar. This egg was really hard to find. It seems like i remember one year there was a piece of string that winded through the whole house that connected to my egg that was in my closet. This year i found a gigantic Gold egg at Walmart that I am going to start some fun tradition with.
* My friend Laura G. has older kids and she does an Easter Egg hunt in the dark with flashlights. (how cute is that?, Laura i would love for you to comment and give the details)
* We make these jello jelly beans every year. I have two mold trays and they take a few days to make them because I usually make 4 different colors. They are so fun to eat. I found the molds at Walmart but you can order them online.
* The night before our hunt we put a stack of carrots on the front door step to let the Easter Bunny know to stop at our house. It is hard to find the cool carrots with the green leaves at the top, but those are my favorite to use. And magically in the morning the carrots all have bites out of them. this is a fun gift to give to your neighbors, stack of carrots with ribbon to leave out for the bunny.
* The easter bunny always leaves footprints outside on the side walk. I make a stencil on a 8x11 picece of cardstock with a large paw print and then lay it on the sidewalk and sprinkle flour over it, over and over in a walking pattern. We even do it for our neighbors which has been a fun tradition.
* The girls get new dresses. This year they all have yellow ones. Annie Kate's i got off of ebay (deal of the century) and the younger girls i got online brand new smocked for $6.00 a piece when House of Hatten went out of business!
* We have a neighborhood easter egg hunt. We have such great neighbors.
* This year for breakfast we are having a yummy Creme Brulee French Toast. It is a receipe from one of my favorite cookbooks.
* We of course dye eggs. We did this yesterday with Annie Kate being home. I forget how much kids love doing this.
* This year I am going to make or buy ( we will see how the weekend goes) little flower corsages for the girls to wear to church. I always see those big lillies and I thought it would be a new fun tradition to have the girls have little flower corsages. We have Stake Conference this Sunday.
* My mom every year made this fun Easter Bunny cake. I always loved it when she made that cake. We are trying a new one this year trying to make an easter basket out of a bundt cake. I will take photos and see how it goes.
I will take lots of photos and be posting them to our Easter 2006 website.

If you have some fun traditions that I can add to mine please share!!
check our my friends peep tree.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easter egg hunts have always been my fave- but when my kids (now 14 and 11) could find the eggs in nothing flat, I just couldn't give up the tradition, but decided to make it a little more challenging, so I hide all the eggs in the yard but don't allow them to hunt until dark. They use flashlights and it is so much fun. You don't have to look for "hard" places, they can be just out in the open grass because honestly unless the flashlight hits it, you'll miss it. I also don't put a lot of candy in them (jelly beans in the braces - not good) but instead I make up little coupons good for "a friend spending the night" or a "turn to sit in the front seat of the car" or a pass to "stay up past your bedtime", etc... They love the coupons and trade with each other afterwards.... big fun.
- Laura

Jill said...

Again, you're freaking me out with your excessive creativity and energy. I'm excited that we're having an Easter Egg Hunt with our cousins, but have thought that was enough. Maybe you should start posting your holiday tips a month in advance, rather than a couple days because I never end up doing the fun things you suggest because I run out of time and energy. You're out of control!

becca said...

I am so impressed and a little intimidated by your abilities!! I love holidays, but I never seem to do all that I was planning on. Thanks for all the ideas, and please post pictures of your cake, I love to see stuff like that!

Amie said...

Cute stuff....I have those Jello bean molds too. LOVE THEM! The year they were in the store I got six of them. SO fun....today I found some that are full size eggs. I have some jello setting up in those now to take to our bbq tomorrow. Jimmy's mom does the egg hunt and saves the eggs each year so each kid has to look for their names, then she also does the one big special egg, it used to be just one, but she keeps everything super even so now each kid gets one of those too...hidden in a harder place.

I agree with Jill we need much more notice. Now I am tired and more worried about pictures than Easter. By the time they are over tomorrow night it will be too late or I will have lost my drive.

amy gretchen said...

I want to grow up in your house. I was lucky to get the house decorated and an easter basket. No wonder i struggle with ideas. I agree with jill start posting ideas in advance so i can start planning. enjoy your weekend.

michelle said...

So much fun! You are super-mom. I love all your ideas. I especially loved your egg tree decoration and your cake.