Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2006



Traditions
Today we woke up to homemade cinnamon rolls with yummy maple icing from again the amazing Katie Davis. Thanks so much for giving us a place of refuge this weekend.

Today the movers are at the house unloading the truck. I drove around the neighborhood for two hours to get the kids out of the house. Then I took them to church even though we looked like a wreck.

Not much a father's day for Jeff that is for sure. Annie Kate was sad that Dad couldn't wear his father's day tie. Every year we make him a special tie to wear to church . The above photo is one from a few years ago. We take one of his old ties and glue every obnoxious thing we can find with photos too. It is fun to look back at the ones we have made over the years.

I also added what we handed out to the fathers at church in 2004 when I was in YW's. A pocket protector with a sugar daddy and a pen with the following poem. (written by my friend Stacy S.

Hip, Hip hooray, Today is Father's day. For all the things you do for us, without complaining, without a fuss. As our ward we would like to say, Have a "Sugar daddy" day. Happy Fathers day 2004

Do they do anything for the dad's at your church?

Idea posted from Shauna, such a great idea!

Several year ago, we started the homemade tie tradition for our entire church congregation. The Saturday before Fathers Day, they have an Activity Day specifically to make the ties. On Fathers Day, all the men are great sports and wear them. Ties are made for every man, children or not. Some wear 3-4 ties, one from each child or wear the previous years' when their children grow up, etc. It has been a very fun tradtion and continues to grow. Some of the ties even have dates on them. Each year, there is something different to add to the decorations. Lots of laughs and fun memories. With my older children grown and gone,when they called home today, they asked about all the ties at church today and what they looked like, etc.


7 comments:

Tasha said...

I remember seeing these pictures in the smugmug albums. You are the queen of traditions! That tie is the greatest, post a pic of Jeff wearing it!

amy gretchen said...

I think this tradition is fabulous. I don't know that I would actually get my husband to wear it but I could hope, right? The tie looks awesome.

Jill said...

I'm sorry Jeff's Father's Day was a little lame this year, but at least there's a really good reason for it.

As always, I'm impressed with your traditions.

Our ward handed out cookies to all the fathers, and had enough left over for everyone in the ward. It was a happy day for everyone.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to lay claim as writer of the Father's Day poem. Sorry P.C., but I do so few creative things anymore that I am compelled to take credit for even the little things! Ha-ha! You are so awesome at holidays, Kristi. You are my idol. GIve yourself a break this time and be like the rest of us. Our ward primary folded white paper to look like a dress shirt and a mini bag of M&Ms was the bow tie with a poem "Our love TIES us together/Its a bond forever true/So on this day/ I'd like to say/ I'm glad I'm tied to you!" Very cute. I'll send you a picture.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to lay claim as writer of the Father's Day poem. Sorry P.C., but I do so few creative things anymore that I am compelled to take credit for even the little things! Ha-ha! You are so awesome at holidays, Kristi. You are my idol. GIve yourself a break this time and be like the rest of us. Our ward primary folded white paper to look like a dress shirt and a mini bag of M&Ms was the bow tie with a poem "Our love TIES us together/Its a bond forever true/So on this day/ I'd like to say/ I'm glad I'm tied to you!" Very cute. I'll send you a picture.

everything pink! said...

i am so sorry stacy. i just knew it was not me who wrote it!

please forgive me

Adam Buchanan said...

Yeah at my church they ask you to say the closing prayer!