Pages

Monday, October 30, 2006


Get to know me.

Yesterday my day at church was awesome. Jeff not so much. He took the girls out during Sacrament meeting and they were crazy! He seriously came in exhausted. All I could say is, "I know exactly how you feel"
This girl at church gave the most incredible talk. She is really amazing. Her talk was the reason Jeff was outside, because I looked at him and hinted that I didn't want to miss the rest of it. She talked about adversity and how in her life it has made her stronger. She talked about trials she has gone through... it was just a real, heartfelt talk. I ran home and wrote her a note because I knew if I walked up to her I would start crying.
The choir sang and it was wonderful. I just had tears dripping down my cheeks. The song was Abide with Me. You can listen to the song here if you have never heard it. But the last line
"through cloud and sunshine Lord, Abide with me" just was so touching to me.
Sunday school is always a treat now that Sally Jane is in the nursery. Jeff and I sat in the back row and tried to name as many people as we could. We did ok, almost half the room. It is tough to move that is all I can say. I also wore my new bracelet my sister in law sent me, even though it did not remotely match my dress, I have not been able to take it off. I will be posting my good mail soon for all to see.
The Relief Society newsletter has a "Sister Spotlight" every week. I had received a phone call for the gal who writes it a few weeks ago but didn't' know when it would be in.
It amazed me she was able to get so much out of me in one phone call. I thought I would type it up so I can remember it and let others get to know me better.

This amazingly brave and trusting gal moved into her new home here sight unseen. Not only that, she barely knew the Kentlands Ward member she asked to find it for her! Turns out she also did this when her family moved to New Orleans ten years ago. Born in Bozeman, Montana, she grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico - the second child out of six. When she was fourteen she had her first real job. She was the Easter Bunny at the mall. She reports that she "stalked" her future husband, beginning in the freshman public speaking class they shared. He left to serve a mission in Argentina. Later, she served a mission in South Dakota. No, they never wrote each other! About a month after she returned home she looked him up and the rest "is history". After the wedding plans were all in place she was informed that she had been selected to be an EFY (Especially For Youth) counselor. Knowing hoe much she had dreamed of doing this, her future husband agreed to the postponement. If she could select her college major over again she would study graphic design or photography. This year she is finally taking photography classes and claims this is her major passion - along with sewing. This mother of three girls writes in her journal every day. Our mystery sister gave me permission to tell you that, as a non-nurse, she once had a job assisting in an operating room. That was until she fainted! Can you guess who this is?

Kind of funny to read what someone else writes after to talking to you. I give up way to much information.
We had a meet and greet after church. Annie Kate loves them, I am not sure why but she get so excited each time we have them, but I love seeing the look on her face when they announce it.

While we were hanging around a girl came up to me and asked me if Christine had talked to me yet. She seemed so serious. I thought oh great what have I done. She then whispers out of one ear, "would you like to join our card making group?" Her eyes were shifting from side to side the whole time she was talking to me. We talked for a minute and then I said as politely as I could, No Thanks. I said, "honestly I have done these things in the past and because I tend to put way too much time and energy into things, then I am sorely disappointed when I get see what everyone else has done and wish I had just spent all that energy for something I would keep, not throw in the trash" I could not believe I had said that, but was so proud I did. She then giggles and explains to me that this is not a crafty card making group and that if I join I can't really tell anyone because they only have 5 people in it, one girl just moved away and there are some other people trying to join. They had seen some stuff I had done for Enrichment and thought I might have good taste. So I said ok, I started to feel kind of lucky to be asked. The group of 4 are really neat people and if anything it would be fun to get to know them. What they do is once a month you get together at one of the girls homes and bring everything for 20 cards and then we all construct them together. Which was way more appealing to me then doing them at home in my creative dungeon. We will see how it goes.
We had a yummy roast and I got to make the gravy. First time in my married life did Jeff let me make the gravy. He is a total gravy snob! I found this new recipe and it turned out great. I was pretty proud and will have to post it sometime, along with the Halloween burritos and jumbalya.
I just came home from church loving my family. I feel like the luckiest girl alive!

13 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so glad that the girl who told you you have big calves was able to redeem herself with such a great talk. Kudos to Jeff for letting you focus and for taking the girls out.

Hooray for Sally Jane going to nursery! Also, I think being able to name half the people in Sunday school is rather impressive having only lived there for 3 months! It took us way longer than that to get acclimated and to know people.

I think you'll enjoy the secret card group, and I can't wait to hear all about the women in it and the cards you make. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Okay, as I read this I was shocked....no, embarrassed about how much of that stuff about you I didn't know!!! You are always so good at asking questions about people and getting them to talk that people don't get to know YOU. So funny.

I'm also so proud of you and your inital answer for the card group. That's huge! But it does sound like fun to do stuff together once a month just for the company. You do have a gift for getting to know people so fast. Just think what happens when we non-people-anti-socials move!

Glad you had such a great day. Thanks for sharing it with us. Its always helps me to look for the great in my day.

Jordan said...

Fun to get to know you better! Sundays can be exhausting but sometimes they really lift you and get you through the rest of the week. I'm glad you had a great weekend.

Spencer the Bomb Diggity said...

Wait a darn second! YOu were born in Bozeman?!?!?

Bevan said...

Yes Spencer, Bozeman, not adopted via the MNCJ (Mercado Nagro del Ciudad Juarez).

Two things I will not attempt because I will do a very poor job: Make the gravy and carve the design of the pumpkin.

becca said...

What a great day for you, and so fun for me to get to know you a little better! I can't believe how many people you know already, there are still people in my ward I don't know!!

Julia said...

I am so happy you had such a wonderful Sunday.

I am very impressed by your first response to the card club invitation. I wish I could say no-- I recently joined a card club, and I think it may just kill me.

Do post your gravy recipe, I am always looking for new ideas.

Bek said...

The kinds of Sunday's when you come home and love your family are the best.

I have never heard of a card group. What exactly is it? Is it like a book club?

How are the Halloween costumes coming?

Liz said...

I'm so glad that you were able to enjoy your sunday! I wish I could name half the people in my ward, I know so many faces, but since I'm in Primary, I now only know the children.

I'm proud of you for saying that about the card club! I completely agree! I've been burned a few times myself, and it just doesn't seem fair when you've put so much effort into something to get crap in return! Hopefully this group will turn out to be different!

Laurie said...

A spotlight in RS is a good idea. We need more of that. Many of the sisters complain that they don't know each other. Fortunately, I know most, but I have the advantage of being in the presidenc and that helps. Enjoyed your spotlight.

michelle said...

So so true about card groups, we can only hope this exclusive, secret card group is different! I think it is a good idea to gather together and create, it's much more fun.

How did I not know that you moved into two houses sight unseen?! You are a brave woman for sure.

amy gretchen said...

I love those times when church can be so inspirational. Too many Sundays I walk out and wonder what I was there for because I was fighting Megan the whole time. Patients right? It's funny you send Jeff out because I've done that as well. The things we do to get by.

Rachel said...

Kristi,

I wanted to post this after everyone else so you don't get too embarrassed, but I'm so glad that you and I grew into our teeth.

Ryan