Pages

Monday, November 27, 2006


Christmas Card Mania!
Bek has asked me recently if I had any Christmas card ideas. For awhile now I have been wanting to scan all my old cards and put them in a Smugmug gallery to save digitally. Her asking motivated me to do it.
I love making cards and used to do it for a business when my husband first started his residency. (Thanks to my sister-in-laws, who paid for my groceries for many years, they were so nice to have me make theirs) I have also been so lucky to live around great photographers who have taken my families photo for me. So here is the list.

The top one is the second year Jeff and I were in New Orleans. I don't remember sending out handmade cards before that, but if anyone has ones I made before 1997, let me know. But I think I just bought them and signed them.
This card idea is great and if you have not done if before it is a great journaling idea. We just wrote down all the things we did that year and then had a running list behind our photo. We took this photo ourselves on timer in our overgrown back yard. We were sitting a $5.00 huge picnic table I bought at a garage sale. We could never use the table because it was so hot to sit outside there.

In 1998, our first daughter was born so her birth announcement was our Christmas card. Back then I thought it was so cool , no it looks so lame. The front had photos of Jeff and I when we were children, the copy I have is missing my photo. They were in little glassine envelopes that I ordered from a company that is no longer in business, but it was a photography company so they were really cheap. this company seems comparable
the front was tied with ribbon and the inside said, "Look what we got for Christmas..."

1999 was our last Christmas in New Orleans. And thanks to Palmer Photography we had some great photos to work with. They were wrapped in red vellum with the words We Believe on the top. I ran out of red vellum and ended using clear on the last few.

2000 was our first year in Nashville. My girlfriend helped me make this red Santa coat for Annie Kate. I love this coat. AK actually wore it as a dress too. My girlfriend took this photo in front of her green door on her time out stool. It had a flap with a glued on button to hold the flap down.

2001 is one of my favorite cards ever. It was the year of 9/11 and I felt like I had to do something with an American Flag. My friend Karen C. took the photo in front of her house. I then scanned it and made a pencil drawing out of it. With a line from a wonderful song by Louis Armstrong. It was my way of reminding myself after all that had happened that year, that our world still is wonderful. I used this awesome silver, metallic paper that I ordered from Paper zone in Seattle

2002 Ok, wait now this may be my favorite card ever. This was the year that Jeff had just come back from an incredible trip from Nigeria and brought back malaria with him. The photo I used on the card is one of his patients giving him a pineapple to thank him (thus my love of pineapples) My friend with Hall Photography also took our photos and so we had to use those too. I love these photos. AK is wearing her cousins dress and bow, who is 6 years older than her. These cards took forever to make and lots of color coordinating and planning. I sent them in a clear plastic envelope.

2003 this year I was behind on getting my cards out so they were Merry New Year Cards. They are dated 2004 but that was because I sent them in January. I should have put 2003. My neighbor Caitlyn took this photo of the girls on her couch and it was perfect for my pink and brown card. It had a brown ribbon wrapped around the card with the photo on top. I also mad some small cards 2"x2" that said "On a personal note" . I had wanted to write a few hand written notes that year. I may do that again this year, I like the idea.

2004. This was the first of two years where I had my photos taken by the great German Photography. I wish I could find the real photo of this because Caroline is screaming her head off. Thus why AK as laughing so hard. My friend Stacy did a little photoshop to fix it. This was all printed on one card with holes punched around the year to loop in ribbon. AK helped me color in the bow on Caroline to Pink with a colored pencil on each one.

2005. This was last year and I loved this card too. My mom had bought these outfits for the girls from Gymboree with this great stripe, bright colors and brown. I sat down one night with the sweater on my lap and recreated the stripes on my computer for the card. (is that so weird)
This was the most matchy card we have done and Jeff was a sport to wear a orange sherbert shirt. Again the photo taken by German Photography with us sitting in the back yard with a white sheet staple gunned to the fence. I can't believe how much Sally Janes hair has grown in one year.

This card was one I made for my parents to send out one year and I had to give it honorable mention. Everyone was scattered all over the country that year so I did a sketch our of each person. Kind like what you would do when one person is missing and then explain why they are missing, but we did everyone and then explained why they are missing. I loved the Buchanan plaid ribbon on the front. If you are Scottish and have a ribbon named after you, it is a great thing to use for Christmas cards. You can click on the photo to see closer. I am probably the only one who really thinks this is funny.

So there is my Christmas Cards past. I am so stressed and excited about what I am doing this year. I have a few days to decide. We have a lot of family coming in town for AK's baptism and so I want to get as much done before they come.

Good luck with your Christmas cards and enjoy the process of sending them out, it is such a great way to think of all your friends this time of year.

Here is my new ribbon contest... 11.5 yards ( to symbolize the size of my huge shoes) to the person that come closest to how many cards I will send out this year with out going over. I am not sure how many I have this year so after I send them out I would count them up and then let you guess. Happy card making!

Question... How do you display your cards when you get them, and do you save all of them?
Last year i started taking photos of them. I display them all over my kitchen cupboards like my sister in law julie, because it reminds me of her. I would love to know what everyone else does.


25 comments:

Amanda said...

Very fun to see all your past Christmas cards...it brings back memories of when I got them starting in 2001! Can't wait to see what you do this year, I am sure it will be lovely!

Liz said...

THese were so fun to look at, especially to see how your cute family has grown and changed over the years!

I am guessing that you will send out 150 cards. That is alot of handmade cards!! I hope you can get alot of them done before your family gets into town!

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! I love seeing the progression of the hand-made card talent you have as well as your cute family changing.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I am missing 2003! I have all the others saved in my special "great holiday cards" file. you know how I feel about handmade holiday cards and now I am inspired to try and round up my old cards. They started in 1995 but we won't feature some of those-if you know what I mean! Can't wait for this year. Mine will be last minute or maybe even post Christmas since we are waiting for Griffin to appear in our card this year. Wahoo!

everything pink! said...

jennifer, your christmas card last year was hands down the greatest card! i almost posted it becasue I love it so much!!! but didn't think it was my place but oh how i want to show it off. so please post it and let me know if you do so i can link everyone to it. it was so great.

Stacy, if you read this, i would love to get permission to post your Season's Greetings card, that was so ultra clever. i need to find my box of cards...

i love everyone's creativity.

Jill said...

I love your Christmas cards and am so happy to say that we received all of them except for Caroline's birthday announcement card, bummer.

You always do such a great job, and your photos are always painfully cute. It's a treat every year to see what you'll do. And yes, I LOVED the one of Annie Kate holding the flag back in 2001.

You're making me want to dig out all my old Christmas cards to put them in a Smugmug gallery too. It's so sad that I haven't kept better track of what we've sent every year.

Jill said...

My guess for how many cards you're going to send out this year is 300!

Bek said...

Those are all so great. You have given me tons of ideas!

We have one photo album that is for our Christmas card every year. I love going back to look at year's past..... that is how we keep track of ours.

THank you!

Angie said...

Great cards. They are all great.
I love to make my own but think this year I may just be ordering them online. I know I will feel a little disappointed not making them but I haven't even started.

My guess on the number you are sending out is 254!!

Amy said...

I should look around and see if I have a copy of all the cards I've made. It was so fun to see yours. I also thought it was fun to see the evolution of your style and your family! My Christmas cards are done, but I still have to write my letter. I'm thinking of trying something new for my Christmas letter that should be really cute. My problem is that I'm going to want to color copy it and that will get expensive.

My guess for your Christmas cards was close to Angie's--250. That sounds like a huge amount, but then I thought, you're you--and you know everyone! I can't wait to see this year's card!

TX Girl said...

My favorite is the Christmas card from the year Jeff went to Nigeria. I always show it as one of the most clever Christmas cards I have received.

I LOVE Chrismtas cards- although I think I have to give up on making homemade cards. I'm always too stressed out and do ridiculously elaborate cards.

My guess is 300. Oh- do you know where you can find the tartan ribbon. We have a tartan plaid, so I would assume we could find a ribbon.

TX Girl said...

My favorite is the Christmas card from the year Jeff went to Nigeria. I always show it as one of the most clever Christmas cards I have received.

I LOVE Chrismtas cards- although I think I have to give up on making homemade cards. I'm always too stressed out and do ridiculously elaborate cards.

My guess is 300. Oh- do you know where you can find the tartan ribbon. We have a tartan plaid, so I would assume we could find a ribbon.

Bek said...

I say 127 cards....

Tasha said...

I loved taking that walk down Cutler Memory Lane! I remember all of those awesome cards!

This year I got the pottery barn card holder, its a long wire thing with loops for the cards. I usually save our closest friends' cards and put them in our scrapbook.

Julia said...

I have one of those card tree's from Pottery Barn. I love to see the Christmas Cards accrue on my wall, and I really like the ones with pictures-- to see how everyone has changed.

I am still recovering from sending out 1200 wedding announcements 2.5 years ago-- and have never sent out a Christmas card myself. Your post has inspired me, I may just have to do one this year.

Anonymous said...

What cute cards -- I love that you recreated the sweater stripe for your paper in 2005! So fun!

amy gretchen said...

Love your cards. We have done cards every year since we've been married. It has been a fun tradition. This is something else I need to start thinking about.

my guess 250

Anonymous said...

I am guessing you will send out 186 Christmas cards.

I have a sister-in-law that covers the back of her front door with her Christmas cards. It is very cute, and for her a good focal point. My front door is tucked into an alcove, so I choose to display my cards on our mantle and on a glass covered kitchen cabinet.

I loved seeing your cards! Thanks for sharing!!

jenny said...

Love all of your christmas cards. And happy that I have most of them except for a few years like 2004. Anyways, how funny you posted yours I was actually going to do the same-- great minds think alike right? Doug and I have sent out a photo cards since we have been married. I am sure that was cheesy to most since a couple of them were just us in the picture. But my mom always did it so I carried on the tradition.

I save all of my christmas cards and keep them in a photo box. Every year for christmas I have them up on my pantry door. It is my favorite thing about Christmas, getting them! The funny thing is Doug mocks me for sending out so many cards every year but loves to receive them. I told him you can't have your cake and eat it too ;) Can't wait to see what you come up with this year. I will probably be mailing mine this week sometime.

jenny said...

p.s. my guess for cards is 175.

michelle said...

I love all of your cards, Kristi. As I went through, I thought my favorite were 1998 & 1999. But then I remembered how much I loved 2004 & 2005. Pretty much every time I get one it hurts my heart how very cute it is!

michelle said...

hmmmm.. I will guess 125.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your cards. So funny to remember all thoses past designs. I remember your kitchen cabinets being covered with cards and coming over just to see what cool new cards you had received.

I'm going to guess about 75. I know you know more people than that but I also know how hard it is to make that many cards. I always start to shorten my list in relation to how difficult my card is to put together divided by how many days to Christmas. Sure you can post my Season's Greetings card. Maybe have a contest to see if anyone actually gets it. I still don't think half of my family got it! :)

Serendipity said...

Great cards...all of them! I'm guessing you send out about 200.

I keep mine in a picnic basket all year long...I got the idea from my mother-in-law who keeps hers in a basket in their den. I'm surprised how many times during the year that I actually stop and look through them...

One family we know sends out Thanksgiving cards each year -- listing what each person is grateful for...I love getting their card each year -- I always know their card will be the first in my mailbox, and it gets me excited for the reast to come!!!!

Have a wonderful time with your family...

Bond Girl 007 said...

what an awesome post...i love it love it love it....i am amazed at all the work you put on them. growing up we didn't have this tradition, but it is one that i have embraced since 1998 I think...i would guess you are sending at least 350 is that too high? I seem to send more each year, but receive less each year...so it is not hard displaying them...i only keep the ones that are really close and personal...closest friends probably.