Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Mille Bornes and Pillows
When Jeff was just started his residency in Nashville we had two bed pillows, one being really good and the other was old, flat and lifeless. I remember thinking I only had enough money to buy one good one, so I thought one was better than none.

Jeff and I love card games. We are both so competitive and I am sure are funny to watch. For years we played card games or Yahtzee every night before we went to bed and played in bed. The winner of the game would get to sleep on the good pillow. I think we did this for about three years. It makes me laugh even thinking about it. The winner would always make a big deal when they laid their head down and rub it in that they had won. It was such a good night when you would get to sleep on the good pillow.

One of our favorite games was Mille Bornes, a French driving game, played with cards. I played it at a s kid with my family.
We had a new set of cards but they just were not the same as the old ones I had as a kid, the graphics were different. (what a shocker that I remember the graphics from a card game in the 70's, my mind is filled with useless information) And the new set does not come with the cool green tray to pick up and discard.

So you can imagine my excitement when I found a full complete set from the 70's at a garage sale for $1.00. I felt like the guy in Toy Story finding Woody. We love this set and still play it before we go to bed. Even though now we both have good pillows.

Today I found my wonderful Mille Bornes set in Sally jane's room cut up in pieces with a pair of scissors next to it. I am honestly too sad to take a photo of it. That Caroline.... I am sad but am off to ebay to find a new set and pad lock to keep her out of it. I guess I should be happy it was not her hair!

20 comments:

Jordan said...

Oh my goodnes, Kristi. I am too sad to SEE a photo of the clipped card game!! That Caroline indeed! We are also HUGE game fans at our house. I'll have to check out Mille Borne--we're always up for a new game. I've never seen it, though, can you find it in a normal game store or at Target??

Jordan said...

Mindy and...hmmm...Alison???

Jordan said...

Sorry, Kristi somehow in my sleep deprived state I posted a comment meant for Jill's blog on yours...hmm, I need help.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kristi....how sad. Really sad.

The pillows made me laugh, though. Just recently I got rid of "flatty" and "fatty". We only had one good one for several years and whoever got into bed first got it and teased the other one mercilessly. I almost hated to replace them.

So sad about your game. Good luck looking for another one.

Anonymous said...

Yes, be glad about not cutting hair. Ellie just cut hers a few weeks ago. I caught her at it before it was too awful. I chalked it up to a motherhood milestone but I was still pretty mad. So sorry to hear about the game. I too had that as a kid and loved the graphics. Have not played it in years.

Julia said...

I used to play that game growing up-- what great memories. I hope you find a new one soon.

The pillow story was too funny, but may have hit a little too close to home. I am a little apprehensive about the coming years of very poor residency to come. I'm sure they will be happy, maybe we'll be playing card games to see who gets to eat dinner!!

Tasha said...

Kristi,
Oh Sweet Caroline! You need eyes in the back of your head for her!
I hope you find another set soon!

AND I am so glad you are both sleeping on good pillows. I love hearing your stories, you are definately a "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" girl. I really admire that about you!

amy gretchen said...

I'm so sorry. I hope you are able to easily find one on ebay. Hooray for ebay!

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one who remembered that game! I loved playing it. My parents still have the old one, good luck in finding one on ebay. I'm sorry she cut yours up, but you have to be impressed by her cutting skills:)

Anne said...

What a sad story. I LOVE milles bornes, it is probably my favorite card game in the whole wide world.

Jill said...

I love that game, but haven't played in a long, long time. My parents still have their old version of the game too.

It cracks me up that you and Jeff played games before going to bed. You guys are just plain cute.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Luke and Caroline would have lots of fun together!! That is so sad about your game. I have never played that bedfore.
You guys are hilarious at playing games. I have heard about the all nighters you used to pull with Ryan when you would play ROOK.
We will have to have game night when we come up in the spring!

Bevan said...

I have rook, I will bring it on friday

melanie said...

What would we do without ebay when we need a treasure from our youth? Good luck on finding it!

I have a male version of Caroline in my Dane. He can be so busy the messes never stop!

jenny said...

Big bummer about the game. Thank goodness for ebay is right. Hopefully you won't have to pay an arm and leg for it. Or maybe another garage sale?

I am laughing about the pillow because I could never give up mine (its much like a blanket to me). Doug would mock me when we got married (I still have the ones my grandma bought me in h.s. my goose feather ones and I seriously covet them.) Now he loves them too--not sure I could give them up to loosing a game.

Anonymous said...

Oh man- I think I would have been happier with cut hair- at least it grows back! I hope you find one on ebay and it is in even better shape than this one was. Linc loves that game- I have barely played it.

Cute about the pillows- you and Jeff are always so cute though. I don't think I could forget your milkman story from when you moved there.

michelle said...

What a sad tale! I completely forgot about that game, we have an old version of it as well. I also had forgotten that Marc and I used to play card games before going to bed, usually rummy. Good times.

LOVED the story about the good pillow. What a crack up.

Liz said...

Oh, the dreaded scissors!! LOCK them up!!

I too loved playing that game when I was a kid!! I sure hope you can find a replacement!

What a fun story about your pillows!

Bridget said...

Don't you think going through residency makes you a stronger person? I know it did me. It made me appreciate everything, like good pillows :) One of the first things I bought when Jim finally had a "real" job was nice sheets. I had never had high thread count sheets before and buy do I love them. Also, love the note from your daughter- So cuted!

Emily C said...

We love to play rummy or crazy 8 before bed. Sometimes we will stay up too late. I am curious about this Mille Borne game, i will need to do some research.

have you ever played pinnacle? its one of my favorites, but you need 4 players. good for 2 couples.