Pages

Friday, January 26, 2007

"People seek out antiques because what the past offers is often more interesting or vibrant than what is available in today's marketplace. "
Fritz Karch Martha Stewarts Collecting Editorial Director

This month in Martha Stewart Living , Fritz Karch, who simply does not hunt and tell, shares what he has his eye on at the moment as far as collecting. The above quote was in his article and it sums up how I feel about looking for all things old. And hopefully will help those who think I am crazy for digging through thrift stores.

I discovered a new D.C. treasure. Value Village. It is an awesome and extremely organized thrift store in the College Park area. I went there last week and was in heaven. It is like a Nordstrom rack (many new things with tags) a great estate sale, wonderful garage sale all rolled up in one. Every pair of socks is on it's own hanger and small items are in their own baggie.


I went with jus the two little ones and won't be doing that again. It was kind of crazy and Caroline loves to hide in the clothes. We went to the toy section first and filled the cart with BRAND new toys in their original boxes, so we didn't really get to hit the kids clothes (which they are known for great items) The pick up neighborhoods for this thrift store are really nice areas of Maryland so they get some great items. I did get some great kids shoes and a brand new pair of Birkenstocks for me. ( I love Birkenstocks) But I can't wait to go back with either some help or without the kids. Here are a sampling of my finds you can see the rest here in my smugmug gallery.
cool old umbrellas that work great. $1.81 each
Caroline's new favorite toy. Included every piece $1.81

I found this excellent condition pink and green hat. The inside brim is bright pink
$2.00

while trying on hats Sally Jane found this bonnet and wore it in the store along with her $.40 glasses. It will be a great hat to keep out the sun in the summer.

I loved these great oval frames with the hanger on them. I am trying to figure out what I will frame in these. Some cool piece of fabric I think.

I was so excited to find this. I have seen them in catalogues for like $40. I can't wait till the ice melts so we can try it in our cul-da-sac

Right before I saw this metal pineapple I said to myself, keep an eye out for anything Pineapple. Many would be turned off by this brass finish. But I can't tell you how many things I have bought over the years in brass and spray painted a different color. I am not sure yet what I will do with this. I may paint it pink and green and put it in the girls room. It opens to store coins and such.

My total score of brand new Birks. What is so funny is last year I wanted a pair of white sandals, but just could not justify a pair. I usually wear my Chaco's everyday in the summer and thought " I don't need to pair of shoes" But for $4.00 I could not turn them down.
Brand new with the tags "Goldie" bag. Which was a perfect match for my friend Emily Gold.

I found these great glasses thinking I could now be as cool as my sister in law, Lenessa, who has some white glasses and is very hip. I hope it works. These were a little pricey for me at $4.00 but sometimes you have to pay big money to be cool.

I would have bought 10 of these if they had them. I bought these to store my ribbon that are smaller pieces and have wrapped them on the bolt. (I will take a photo when I am done)

So if you are not tempted to visit me because of the ribbon outlet or the wonderful history and memorials, maybe Value Village will entice you to make the trip!

I was happy to add Value Village gallery to my smugmug gallery of Trash to Treasure. I love documenting great finds.

24 comments:

Bevan said...

Kristi,

I will trade you something cool for the pedal wheels.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You sure can find some great deals! I checked the link and found a list of places local to me with some fab reviews. I will have to check them out sometime!

Anonymous said...

I love the great finds! Sally Jane looks adorable in her bonnet. I really want to find one like that for Ryley. Very cute!

I wish we had cool stores like you and I am jealous that you are able to venture in Charm City Cakes. I would give anything to go there.

everything pink! said...

bevan i will trade you for that NMSU t-shirt that I know you wear everyday underneath your clothes. You know that shirt that says "Always an Aggie"

melanie said...

I would be dangerous with your Value Village! I love bargain hunting and your totally scored girl!

michelle said...

You seriously scored at that store! What a lot of great things and great deals. I would have to restrain myself from going there 2-3 times a week! Love the white glasses and that way cute purse!

Anonymous said...

i am tempted to come see you for ALL of those places! and even have a trip to D.C. already paid for by work!!

Anonymous said...

Where were you when I lived in College Park?! I actually go to College Park quite a bit still because my favorite friend Abbie lives there. I will definitely have to check it out the next time i'm there.

Anonymous said...

im soo jealous!!! how fun is that!

Bevan said...

Kristi,

no way, that shirt is all mine. Even though it is cutting off my circulation, it is helping the Aggies win tons of games this year. I didn't put it on until December, which is why we lost the first 3 games of the season. So to the NMSU Aggies and Coach Theus, "You're Welcome!"



Anne,

In College Park, did you ever check out the Taco Place called something Turtle? Like maybe, Taco Turtle? Right next to Maryland Univ.? I wanted to try it out, but I was too scared of that street.

Anonymous said...

What great finds. I just found a bunch of toys still in the box at the Savers here that are packed away for birthday's and Christmas.
Kidney foundation sells their pick ups to Saver's so there are always great finds to be found.

Doodle Bugs said...

You are going to be shock one day when I show up on your doorstep. If you keep teasing me with all these great places I will be there SOON!! Love the deals and I LOVe that you share what you found!!

Anonymous said...

What a great find. I love quirky little stores. Maybe I'll have to stop by when we are out there this summer.

Amanda said...

We had Value Village in Kingston growing up and let me tell you most of my clothes came from there while I was in High School!! I actually still have some of the things that I bought there like a vintage 1960's chocolate brown faux fur hip length coat that I wore everywear in grade 12 (it was a very Twiggy sort of coat, it cost 7 Canadian dollars). I think Bevan is confused as to why it in our closet, but its not going anywhere!

Anonymous said...

Your thrift store finds are seriously my favorite part about your blog. I can't believe the great stuff you find. I love the oval frames. I bet they will look adorable after you are done with them.

Anonymous said...

What amazing finds! That is a great store! Way better than the ones on Jefferson Highway! I can't wait to see what you find in the kids clothing section when you are able to go alone!

Very excited to see what you do to that pineapple!

Anonymous said...

Kristi- so fun! I bought my mom two pinapples that are an exact replica of yours in Maui-at Tommy Bahama store for 18$ a piece. My mom loves pinapples too-all those years in Hawaii, she has a lot of pinapple decor. But I bet your find is they same as the upscale Tommy !

Anonymous said...

You make me sick. And I mean that in the nicest most jealous way! :)

everything pink! said...

stacy, i am laughing so hard

Melinda said...

I am so jelous of all the good finds! You NEVER find anything like that here in Utah. I would love to just go and shop to find all the great things. I thrive on finding good bargins!!

Jill said...

I can't believe the great items you found! Everything looks great. I love those ABC blocks and love the way you stacked them for the picture. I also love the picture of the umbrellas on your deck, very cool. I thought it was one from Martha Stewart Living at first! I guess you need to warn your guests to bring an empty suitcase or two with them when they come to visit you.

Anonymous said...

Kristi- seriously great finds! And kudos for finding the treasures WITH girls in tow. I must get back into thrifting. I enjoy it so much but the girls slow me down a bit so I haven't done it in a while.

Love the ABC stacking boxes...Would love to hear an estimated total spent on such a great bunch of treasures!!

amy gretchen said...

Awesome finds. The quote you shared at the beginning is fabulous. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Kristi, this is hilarious. It's fab reading, but I'm so glad it's you with all those finds and not me as I'm supposed to be decluttering!! It's great to see you acquire all this stuff though, as it's sort of like me shopping by proxy. Haha!
Has Jeff seen all these things listed out like this? My husband would get his 'special twitch' if he saw me bring home this much stuff. He aspires to live in a minimalist, Zen-like shell. But with me and 2 girls, it's a complete pipedream!