Pages

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"Q" is for Quilting
not quitting




Today seems like the perfect day to tell one of the greatest stories I have to tell and it is all true.

The summer after Jeff's first year at Tulane, we were flying back into New Orleans from a west coast family vacation. It was a flight that got in around 11:30 pm. On the flight I noticed a guy our age in a blue polo shirt sleeping on a spread of three seats. He slept the whole 3 hour flight from Salt Lake City.

When we got off the plane to get our luggage we were talking to another passenger who was there with his family who happened to be flying in for freshman orientation as well. The young man in the blue shirt overheard us talking and asked us if we were Jeff and Kristi. He explained that he as well was moving here to start school... The next day. We were a little surprised of how he knew our name as we had no idea who he was.

During graduate school we kept our name on a board at BYU to have anyone interviewing to come stay with us and that was where he got our name, as we was also a BYU graduate like Jeff, And also was a member of our church.
It now being almost midnight we stood with him waiting to get our luggage and found out that David had just found out he was accepted and hopped on a plane with no real plans of where he was going to stay that night. Jeff and I both said, "come home with us!" After much convincing we brought him home and he was able to go into school with Jeff the next day.

I wish I had a photo of a friend at works face when I told her this story the next day. She said to me, "WHAT? You brought home a stranger from the airport to come live with you!"

David lived with us for 4-6 weeks I don't really remember but it seemed like 2 days. He is hands down the best house guest we have ever had. The fact that he is still friends with us after living with us shows what a forgiving and understanding guy he is.Mardi Gras 1998

His wife was getting ready to come out once he found a house. I remember the very night I asked him to tell me about his wife. I was wondering what she was like, what she liked to do. He said she loves aerobics and to quilt.
My mind said to myself, "QUILT?" Like sit around a big wooden frame with old ladies and quilt. I even chuckled and tried to convince myself it was not like what I was thinking in my mind.
catching cabbage St. Patricks day 1999

I had hoped that me and his wife could become friends because David was such a great guy and we looked forward to getting to know them better. There were only a few friends from church who went to school with Jeff and it was fun to think there was another coming in.

David found a home and then his wife Mindy moved out. I don't remember meeting Mindy like the first time I met Dave but I will never forget the impact she had on my life while we lived in New Orleans.Kristi and Mindy with the doubloon man

The fun story continues and Mindy and I became fast friends or I guess I could say I fastly wanted to be her friend.

She has been given many spiritual gifts and one of them is how you feel when you see her smile. You can't help but smile and feel good when you see it. What always amazes me about Mindy is she has no fear when trying something new. This quality in her is something I will always admire and becomes contagious when you are around her. She makes you believe you can do anything.
my first quilt mindy "helped" me make.

While living in New Orleans my Nona passed away in Utah she left me a wedding ring patchwork quilt. I brought it to Mindy and said "please teach me how to do this" {oh how I was eating my words of my first thoughts of.. "She quilts?"}
I remember her patiently teaching me how to quilt. Every step. from picking a pattern, choosing the fabric, cutting, organizing, cleaning threads out of your vacuum cleaner to quilting and binding. She is a wonderful teacher and again makes you feel like you can do anything.
She bit me with the sewing bug. She took me to Wal Mart where I bought my first machine for $77.00. I remember charging it on a credit card because I didn't have the money to buy it, thinking is was the most expensive thing I had purchased on a card. That sewing machine is what I used to sew all my quilts on and start a purse business. She told me it is not the machine that makes the seamstress it is the person behind it. She made me feel like I was using a $5000 Bernina.
She taught me and MANY other women to quilt in New Orleans and and don't think there isn't one of us that has not taught some sewing skills to someone else, her gift keeps giving and spreading.
I still keep a piece of the fabric used for the binding in my scriptures to remember the week we made this quilt.

Selfish thinking would make me believe that David was accepted to Tulane because Heavenly Father was sending in reinforcements for me. I have cried many a tear on her plaid couches and will be forever grateful to the power one person has made in my life. She taught me to serve and not complain. She taught me to face trials head on. She taught me Q is for quilting not quitting.

Today is Mindy's birthday it is a day for her! I love you girl. fill her blog today with birthday wishes.

the top Noah's ark quilt was a baby gift Mindy gave me for Annie Kate. It had to have taken her 100's of hours to complete. The day she gave it to me I cried so hard I got a bloody nose. I have often said that if my house was on fire I would grab my kids and that quilt. My favorite part is the rainbow and whales. The detail is amazing.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can a stranger telling a story of another stranger bring tears to my eyes? Kristi, you are wonderful storyteller and a wonderful friend. It sounds like Mindy is lucky to have you, as well!

PS- My first reaction was along the lines of "You brought home a stranger from the airport to live with you?" I so admire your trusting heart.

Melinda said...

That was a very sweet post. It is always a blessing when you can find such a treasured friend. That is so great she was so willing to teach you something new.

You are very trusting to bring someone home from the airport. Glad you were able to get such great friends from it!

Anonymous said...

You said it best. The Johnson's are the greatest people. I always think of Mindy if I am negative and think she ALWAYS had a smile on her face no matter what trial she was going through. I was sad that I didn't get to know Mindy well until before she was on her way on to Virginia.
You can imagine I was beyond thrilled when I got the calling to be in her Presidency with YW.

p.s. I still remember you laying all that fabric out at Mindy's and were afraid to cut it out---so were so afraid of ruining it. Now look at you, you are an amazing seamstress!

Happy Birthday Mindy!

Anonymous said...

**of that quilt you posted above.

Anonymous said...

Everyone needs a friend like Mindy that makes you feel so special and loved.

Quilting is such a beatiful art and I have always wanted to learn but I am totally intimidated since I don't even know how to sew! I suppose taking one baby step at a time is key.

Anonymous said...

What a great story about meeting David and Mindy. I remember the first time I came to your house. This is a funny story. I hadn't even met them yet, they were out of town or something. You showed me that quilt and told me the story about crying so hard you got a bloody nose. You said, "You should really get to know her, her husband is in the Bishopric, she is a fabulous quilter. She could teach you how to quilt." Something along those lines. Anyway, like you, I was thinking "she quilts?", and I had this image of her in my mind as some matronly woman who spends all her time quilting. Well, she certainly did not fit that image when I met her! She is darling, sweet, so giving, and has the most beautiful smile and spirit. You are right! She is wonderful, and she taught so many people to quilt. Happy Birthday Mindy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Knowing that Mindy's Birthday is today, I was waiting to see what you would post about her. I had never heard that story of how you met David and Mindy. I loved it!

I have admired the friendship that you and Mindy have. I too have learned so much from her. I feel so fortunate to have her as my sister-in-law.

Thanks Kristi for teaching me a thing or two more about her!

Anonymous said...

Sweet tribute to Mindy. She is the best and I love her so. I am still in awe at how we are all connected.

Anonymous said...

Very kind Kristi. Thank you for always being so good to Mindy and I. All my love to you, Jeff, and the clan, DJ

Jill said...

I can totally see you and Jeff convincing David to come home and stay with you. What an amazing story!! Your life is surrounded by amazing stories, more than anyone else I know.

I love it that Mindy taught you so much and especially that she taught you that Q is for quilting, not quitting. What a gift!

Happy Birthday Mindy!

Anonymous said...

Great story about Mindy. She definitely makes me smile just by seeing pictures of her bright smile. I wish I could meet her in person. She seems amazing!!

Happy Birthdy Mindy!

Jordan said...

What a woman!!

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful story! She really does have a talent for quilting and for friendship. As do you!

michelle said...

What a wonderful story! My mind was reeling when you talked of how many people Mindy taught to sew and quilt, and how many you have taught or inspired to do the same, and so on! That is an amazing gift.

I had to laugh at your initial thoughts on quilting. That is what I thought at first, too, oh how wrong I was!

Anonymous said...

Such a nice story. I love that you brought someone home from the airport and that you were able to start a lifelong friendship.

Anonymous said...

Having read Mindy's 100 list on her blog, there are certainly things that have happened in her life that one could easily have 'quit' over. It's amazing to read your description of such a sunny personality and then read her 100 list and see some very significant 'downs' in her life. What an amazing person, to devote Q to 'Quilting' and boot Quitting out of her vocabulary!

everything pink! said...

amanda: how insightful you are!! i could not have said it better!

melanie said...

I would grab the kids AND that quilt and make a run for it. I am in total awe over it.

I love finding friends that change your life and inspire you to be better! What a dear friend!

Happy Birthday Mindy!

Trudy said...

Hello Kristy! Thank you so much for sharing the miracle story of how you met and scooped up David! I love that story!

When Mindy and David pulled away from our home here in Sandy, Utah in that U-Haul...I cried! New Orleans was so far away! I prayed she would find a friend to help her feel "at home." You were that friend. You have blessed her life in so many positive, fun, creative and tender ways. Thank you for being her kindred spirit! Love to you and yours, Trudy (Mindy's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Love that story. I admire Mindy and think she is amazing. I aspire to be more like her everyday!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kristi! What a tribute! Mindy is so fantastic in every way. I love your friendship - I can tell you both just adore each other. I think you are right about David being accepted to Tulane. :) We have our own David Johnson/Tulane story, too. They've done A LOT for us. Also, I know how to quilt because of the gals in New Orleans, who all learned from Mindy! A legacy!