Pages

Friday, February 02, 2007

February Book Club
book club last night was great with a record 20 women. The book was The Peacegiver by James L. Ferrell.
I read the entire book yesterday. I have had the book for awhile and had skimmed through it but had not read the whole book. I was a marking fool, circling, underlining and putting stars everywhere. When Jeff came home he even let me lock myself in the room for half an hour to finish it.
Here are a few things that I underlined and circled.
"Being mistreated is the most important condition of mortality, for eternity itself depends on how we view those who mistreat us" "No weapon is as devastating in a home as a heart that has stopped loving" "the Lord does not give you a new heart only once. He gives you a new heart every time you come to him repentantly, in faith, believing that you will receive" "Righteousness' is simply a humble understanding of how unrighteous one is, coupled with a deep commitment to be better." "Eternal Live is a gift. I have no cause to feel entitled. I have cause only to feel grateful" "war begins when men start seeking revenge in their hearts, the swinging of blades is a mere formality"

It was written so that the reader will work hard in understanding these concepts not skim over them. You have many opportunities to really get what the author is teaching. And the fact they he uses stories from the Bible to illustrate them, it was really powerful. You will gave a new inisght to David (Goliath David) & Abigail, Jonah and Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane.
At one point the author writes,
"I am not interested in your guessing my thoughts, I'm interested in your discovering your own."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get out! I was going to post about this book! I read it last year and am re-reading it right now. I think it is seriously life changing!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about getting this book...(Now you've just inspired me to not only buy it, but read it!)
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book post! I can't wait to read it, sounds so enlightening. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a good one. It really got me thinking about the Atonement in new ways.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book and gave it to both my parents and parents in law for Christmas. It got me thinking about the Atonement in ways I had never considered before. I would recommend this to anyone.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was going to post about this book too, just haven't gotten around to it. We read in January for my book club. I really enjoyed it, and thought there were some really great quotes and lessons to be learned from it. Thanks for posting about it!

Anonymous said...

That is by far my FAVORITE book of all time. Isn't it awesome!? I may have to read it again.

Jill said...

I am so delighted that you're participating in your ward book club this year! It's definitely worth it isn't it, even if yesterday was crazy trying to get the book read. Just think of it as a gift you're giving to yourself that ultimately benefits your family and friends. Thanks for the quotes! I need to get this book.

michelle said...

I have heard wonderful things about this book. I guess it's time I go and get it for myself! Also, great idea on the smugmug gallery for books you've read this year...

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! I was fascinated by the story of Abigail and the foreshadowing of the Savior. I had never even heard of her before, I didn't know Abigail was a biblical name.