I just finished our Easter tree. This is so easy and so incredibly "cheep"
I didn't do a photo play by play, because I did this over a series of days. Anytime I needed an egg I would blow it and then sit the shell aside. But here are my tips if you want to make one for yourself. This is a great center piece to do anytime of year for a baby shower. You can tie all sorts of bows on the branches.
- pick branches that have blossoms just getting ready to bloom
- i found my container at Goodwill, you will be amazed at what you could find a thrift store to make your tree in. You could also just use a metal bucket
- when blowing eggs don't be afraid to make a bigger hole than you would think. I actually used a small screw. You will place a bead over the hole. this will keep you from getting a head ache when blowing out the egg. (Mindy I know this part will be tough for you, ask a neighbor... she gets grossed out by eggs) run a lot of water through the hollow egg before drying, get all that stinky egg out! I even sprayed with bleach to get it to run down in the egg.
- when dying eggs i use the egg dying kit PAAS that can be found in any grocery store. I double the water and add a tea bag to each color. I also dye a few with just tea and no color. The make the color more vibrant add a few teaspoons of vinegar.
- The eggs will be hollow when you dye them which means they will float. The get them to submerge place an ice cream scoop over the egg.
- last year I used a flat stretchy yarn to tie the eggs on to the branches and then tie a bow on top of each egg to cover the hole. This year I used a pink heavy thread 50g weight.
- I bought some flowered beads at the craft store and placed on at the bottom with a knot and one at the top. You can also tie a bow at the bottom to keep it from slipping through if you use ribbon.
- I taped two needles together to string the thread through because my needles were not long enough to get through the egg.
- I placed a another flower bead at the top to cover the blown hole. You could use all kinds of beads and even shapes of wool felt would be great.