Pages

Friday, June 01, 2007

8th Dinner

Tonight we went to our 8th resident graduation Dinner, but it was the first one where Jeff was not the resident. It was downtown D.C. at Maggiano's. Cool atmosphere - kind of lame food. Photo above of my unfinished dessert - I never not finish dessert.

It has been such a bigger blessing that I ever believed to continue to be apart of an academic institution. Jeff enjoys teaching and it has been good to see the other side of the coin.

The graduation dinner was so different to the ones we experienced at Vanderbilt, both great but different.

The graduating residents gave awesome gifts to all (about 10-12) their attendings/teachers. I could not believe it. They had each one come up and talked about what effect they had on their training process.

They gave Jeff a old book on Sinus surgery that they searched for on the Internet. The book had an inscription that was dated 1925. Wow, that is almost 100 years old. The chiefs signed below that and dated it 2007. I of course got all choked up. They also gave a card and photo of the 4 of them, which I will adhere to the book.

It was really awesome, especially since this night was for us to honor them and their accomplishments and they gave gifts to those who taught them. What a lesson learned.

Jeff was running late so I had to meet him there. Not too fun to drive home from a date in separate cars. I could not believe the traffic on the 495 at 11:30 pm. Me singing Carrie Underwood at the top of the lungs is what kept me awake.

It was a great night.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

So Jeff is a surgeon? Or teaches at a medical school? Sorry, just trying to put the pieces together!

I love that his students were able to find a book from 1925. How cool to see how medicine has changed over the years!

Sorry the food wasn't so good. I don't ever leave dessert behind either, so that isn't a very good sign!

everything pink! said...

Jeff is an ENT with training in Sinus surger and is in a teaching hospital. sorry - probably didn't make much sense. i am posting about Friday on Monday and skipping the details to do some blogging catch up. now off to do Sunday and Monday.

really what is amazing too, is how new his field is and that this book had been written so long ago. I need to take a photo of the book.

Jill said...

What a cool gift for Jeff to receive, it's so cute that you always get so emotional about these things. I wish I could do that more often.

melanie said...

I almost always finish dessert too. Sounds like lame food to me too.

I love that the book had to be searched for on the internet. Very cool. I get choked up more and more all the time.

Anonymous said...

What a gracious way to graduate!

stefanie said...

Sounds like a great date night even if the food wasn't great. Maggiano's isn't on the top of my list either.

Happy to see all of your posts, I've been wondering about you lately.

Michelle Alley said...

What a sweet thing to do for him. Too bad the food wasn't that great, but sounds like you had a good time despite the food!

Lindsay said...

I love Maggiano's food so I am so sorry it disappointed. Have you ever been there before? We loved going with at least four people and doing the family style. I'm just shocked but maybe my culinary tastes are lacking.