Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2007

The More we get Together...
The happier we are


Tonight I spent 6 hours at the church, the ward close to our house, helping the senior girls for next year make their senior quilt. It was such a brilliant idea to team up one senior with a sewer to work together.
I got one of the cutest girls who also is one of the assistant swim coaches on AK's swim team.

We did foundation piecing with preprinted squares that you buy by the yard. the colors of the quilt were pink and green, so fun to work with fabrics you love!
This was the flavor table that we got to pick the sequence of our blocks.

This is the back of the block after it has all been sewn. If you can sew a straight line - you can make this quilt. (top photo shows them after they have been cut)
these are the block me and my senior got done.
some of the A day's girls were working on flag quilts.

But the best part of the night was Annie Kate's sweat shop she had set up in the corner. I brought her machine and a chunk of fabric and ribbon for her and the other girls to make whatever they wanted. She was the only one who knew how to completely thread the machine and fix the problems is things got stuck and such. I told her to just do what ever she wanted but that I really needed to focus on getting these block done on the other side of the room.

So Annie Kate started teaching some of the other kids how to sew. She had them sit on her lap because the chair was too low to the machine and it was easier for them to do it. (oh my I ran to the other side of the room to snap this shot and was just crying I thought it was so cute)

The girls got easily distracted with playing and dancing to high school musical in the center of the room. AK kept sewing away to finish a project.
she then walks over the the grown ups to show us her finished project.
a patchwork back from her fabric stash! Even the seniors were excited about it. So then the other girls asked Annie Kate to make them one too. So until 11:30 at night, there she was making 3 bags for the other girls. She would have them pick out the ribbon for the handles and what they wanted on the front and back. I used to have a business doing this for other people and watching and listening to her was just something out of movie. It was so cute to hear her.

So she sat and sewed while the other girls played. I was just so proud to see how well she could cut, piece and sew the fabric. On the way home she said it made her feel good to know something to be able to teach others.
It was a great night

AK also had a coach's pick swim meet today and swam freestyle and the butterfly and then was asked to swim in the team relay at the end of the meet. Me and the drowning victims stayed home but Jeff said she did great. The night before the meet she said again, "i am a little nervous, I have no idea what I am doing" just imagine how great she will swim when she does know what she is doing!

19 comments:

mimi said...

Kristi, what a wonderful teacher you must be for Annie Kate to follow in your footsteps like that. She is having those wonderful feelings of service. I am just flabbergasted at her ability as an eight year old. That picture with the girl on her lap is priceless. Of course, this grandma is so proud and can't contain her emotions. Congratulations Annie Kate on the swim meet, too. You're not too shabby either, Kristi!

Barb said...

That is so cute that she was taking orders on her bag design. What focus she has to keep at it!

Rebekah said...

That is so cook that AK is already an accomplished seamstress. Way to go Kristi! You'll always have that bond with her that she'll eventually pass on to her children.

Jill said...

I'm so impressed with you for teaching Annie Kate so well. She's so young to be sewing so proficiently already and able to teach others. Her quilted purse is so cute, I bet all those other little girls went home and asked for sewing machines of their own!

Rachel said...

Ok so when is Annie Kate going to teach me to sew?! ;)
What a fun night!

Mrs. McDaniel said...

ok I have an 8 year old & I think she needs to visit you for the summer maybe you could teach her a thing or two! so impressive!

Anonymous said...

HOOOOOrayyy for Annie K.

I love how you termed her corner of the cultural hall, the sweat shop.

The bag is darling. It says tons about both of you.

Quelly said...

OK -- Kristi - I don't know you but I have decided that I want to be you when I grow up. Considering the fact that I am older than you I had best get busy.
I LOVE reading your blog and hope that some day I can cross paths with you.

Natasha said...

Kristi - if you ever host a summer camp, let me be the 1st to sign my Luci up!!

jenny said...

Like mother like daughter. What a darling bag. Go Annie Kate!

Those blocks are darling. It reminds me that I should be sewing some of mine for a block exchange.

Michelle Alley said...

I didn't realize you sew the pieces onto abase square, I'm so unknowledgable about quilting. I'm so impressed that Annie Kate know's how to sew like that - what a great teacher! Love that she worked with the other girls to make their purses. Sounds like a fun night.

Laura B. said...

This was the cutest post I think I've read to date. I am amazed at Annie Kate's creativity! So seriously cute!

francie said...

I know how hard AK is working in the pool. My son started swimming at 13 and later went on to swim Division I in college at BYU (95-96) Just keep swimming AK!

Also, absolute love your blog. It is a bright spot in the day for so many. Thanks so much!

Elisa said...

What a girl AK is! I am so impressed. Sometime I will have to tell her my experience swimming backstroke at a high school swim meet. You know the church commercial where everyone is cheering on the little girl with braces on her legs as she is the very last one to finish the race?? Well, that was me, only no braces on my legs. Just have fun and laugh laugh laugh!

Kristy said...

That tie you guys made Jeff for father's day is awesome. I've been so busy I've barely had time to check in on your creative genius lately! I have to say that I said "are you serious?" out loud when I saw that adorable bag AK made. It goes to show that you are a good teacher to have an 8 year old be able to sew something like that and teach all her friends. I'm seriously speechless at her talent!

Lauralee said...

SWEET! I love that she was teaching the others.. and how she felt about it.. what a neat thing.. I would totally be crying too! That is amazing.. what a good mom you are! This is an absolute favorite post I have read of yours.. So sweet and says so much about you and the kind of person you are!

Liz Snowden said...

WOW! Good for AK. Sewing is such a valuable skill, and one so seldom taught anymore. I can't wait to teach my Lily to sew. Isn't it fun to see what their creative little minds come up with? Not to mention the valuable self esteem that comes with the fact that someone else WANTS what you have created. Congratulations, Kristi, you re abviously a wonderful mother! :)

Anne said...

Yet another thing I could learn from Annie Kate. That girl is extremely talented!

Webb Family said...

I'm so impressed that your little one is already sewing, she must of felt so proud. What a wonderful teacher you are to your cute girls!