Pages

Friday, June 15, 2007

I don't have a team

tonight I finally(i have had the movie for 3 weeks, Netflix is making a killing off me this month) watched Fever Pitch with Drew Barrymore and that guy from SNL, I can't remember his name.
It was awesome! (thanks again Bevan and Amanda for the great movie tip)
But it also made me sad, because it made me realize I don't have a team! A sports team that I love, know the players names, have any kind of gear or teach my kids to love.

I know many Buckeyes from Ohio and they are the most awesome fans I have ever met, totally nutty, but still awesome. And whenever a Buckeye meets another Buckeye in front of me, I totally disappear and then they start speaking some freaky language that I don't understand. I am embarrassed for these fans, but jealous at the same time.

Growing up as a kid my was a professor at NMSU and took us kids to all the basketball games. He always bought us the box of popcorn, which now seems like a total luxury because we didn't seem to get treats like I probably buy for my kids. (ya, you have seen all the photos of my kids with cotton candy and ice cream in their hands) I remember singing some chant or song for the Aggie's yet now I don't remember what it was. I loved it when the lights would go off and then players would run in with spotlights on them. Thinking about this time brings back some awesome memories. But we moved from that town and I have not been back since I graduated from High School.
Our town or state for that matter, didn't have a National Sports team so the University was really our only hope of rooting for someone.

I have lived in many states but they never seem to have a great team at least while I have lived there. And now that I am older it seems hard to pick a team and claim them as mine. Living in the D.C. area I have so many options between baseball and football and great college teams, but don't know where to begin. And as an adult can I just pick a team and love them, claim them and go crazy over them like my born and raised Buckeye friends? Won't that offend the born and bred die hard fans, to have a new comer join the club?

My brother Bevan has NEVER given up on the Aggie's, I bet he could now name all the players from this season. I wonder if that is why he loved Fever Pitch so much. I admire that about him, he has stuck to his home town team, even if they are really small and no one has ever heard of them and they will never win the NCAA tournament (sorry Bevan I hope this does not hurt your feelings)

I have never been to a professional baseball game or football game and 1 basketball game. It is a world I am just not apart of. But I want to be.
My husband grew up in Seattle so he has always had some team to root for.
I want my girls to have a team too!
So where do I begin? Do I just pick a team and don't look back? Do I just claim the Aggie's and be done with it? Who would you say is your team and do they accept new fans?

20 comments:

Barb said...

Your last question is too funny - Like you must apply! Ha!

I don't know if having a team can be accomplished by shear will power or if it has to happen naturally. I will say that a strong rivalry with a nearby city helps solidify loyalties. (The enemy of my enemy is my friend, or something like that)

Anonymous said...

Oh Kristi--this post is so heartwarming. Truly. A girl without a team that wants to find one, can it get any more heartwarming than that?

I'm no expert...but I'm thinking anybody with your enthusiasm HAS to be allowed to join the club.

jenny said...

I believe it was Jimmy Fallon (not that you really care now..) I too enjoyed that movie. I have had Pursuit of Happiness on my counter for like 2 weeks. I need to watch it.

As far as teams go I can't say I am in love with a team or have true passion over any either. Doug on the other hand has been very true to AZ. He is a die hard Sun Devil fan as well as the PHX Suns. I tend to go and root for where I live. I was a Saints fan, now Spurs. How can you help not yelling for a team when they win the National Championship in basketball?? Go Spurs :)

Elisa said...

I am a U of U fan, but why not BYU?? Don't you and your husband "bleed blue" as they say around here?? Most BYU grads are as nutty about BYU as any Buckeye I know (okay I don't actually know any Buckeyes).

I am not a big sports fanatic (besides Olympics) I get too emotionally involved, and don't want to spend my energy that way.

Anne said...

I love Jimmy Fallon, he's such a cutie.

I don't have a team either, but I don't really care much for team sports (well except soccer, because soccer players are gorgeous!) I am a fairweather fan and I totally rooted for the Utes the year they won the BCS bowl, but other than that i could care less. I can't give you any recommendations on teams to get behind, but I suggest going to a Nats game. They are a lot of fun and their hot dogs are delicious. They even have a Presidential foot race between George Washington, Abe Lincoln, FDR and possibly one other president, it's funny.

Rachel said...

I can so relate to your feelings! I am a girl without a team. My husband has teams...do I just jump on the band wagon? I don't know...I think I will be spying in on your comments on this one.

Also, I loved that movie as well. Jimmy Falon and Drew Barrymore? You just can't go wrong!

denise @ little ant design said...

lakers, angels, and "go cougars" those are my teams and here's how they happened...

as a high school cheerleader in los angeles I had the opportunity to perform at quite a few laker halftimes - most of the players were nice to us and always said a few words. at one time i had big dreams of becoming a laker girl but the thought of wearing some of the outfits was more then i could handle and that was in the late 80's. this is getting long, but what i'm getting at is i had a conection with the lakers and they are still my team (and hubby's for that matter)

the angels...this is really my team because it's what brought my husband and i together. my seniour year of high school a girlfriend of mine asked if i wanted to go to an angels game with her and her boyfriend - i tagged along and we met up with a big group of teenagers - one of them was my future hubby. that game on may 7, 1988 was our first date - the ticket stub is framed and up in my house. going to see the angles play is still a favorite, 19 years and 4 kids later.

byu cougars...i never went there (i'm a ricks gal) but i spent a good deal of time there married while hubby was in school. i belive i would be divorced if i didn't bleed blue :) to me it just makes sense to have them be my team even though i never attended. i still went to plenty of kids and my 13 year old dreams of going there.

sorry for the long post. go out and find yourself a team girly!

denise @ little ant design said...

edit...last paragraph "I still went to plenty of GAMES" not "kids"

everything pink! said...

denise. thanks for the awesome insight. i love, love that you have the ticket stub framed! that is so cute.

have you seen the baseball birth annoucnements. is is printed just like a ticket but has all the baby info on it. anyway. thanks again i loved hearing how you came to love them all

everything pink! said...

elisa, isn't that funny that we are not huge BYU fans, i don't even own any BYU gear, t -shirt, foam cougar paw nothing.
maybe that should be may avenue to go down...
i do still know the fight song.

everything pink! said...

jenny, after you watch the movie PH, watch the extras on the DVD, especially the real story of the guy who it is about.
that movie was hard for me to watch because i just felt so bad for them the whole time and so i raced to the extra features to see how great he is doing now and that finished off the movie me.
enjoy it.

Lindsay said...

"Oh rise and shout, the cougars are out...." True blue BYU fan here. In fact, getting season football tickets was the first thing we did when we found out were moving to Utah.

Unknown said...

Kristi,
This has to be one of my favorite blog entrys you've had. I've had these exact same feelings... We used to be die hard Utah Jazz fans, but its hard to follow them from Nashville.
You must do a follow up with what you decide.... I am sure you would get alot of "good mail" supporting your new team.
Laura

Jill said...

It cracks me up that you are officially seeking out a team to cheer for, that's just funny.

I love Jimmy Fallon and think he's so hilarious. I have a crush on him since I always end up with crushes on really funny men.

I don't have a team either, but have never really felt the void even after watching Fever Pitch.

Laura said...

I am like Jill.. no team, no void.
But I can see how fun it might be to have a team, but I figure if I have to try that hard to care, it wasn't meant to be.

Lacie said...

I am a HUGE Houston Astro Baseball Fan. It broke my heart when we moved and we can't make the games anymore!

My husband liked them and once I got on the band wagon I was hooked!
Not really sure how it happend- When you can attend the games it really makes the players "real".

I am also an Aggie fan- Texas A&M Aggie Fan (College Station, TX). Both my husband and I graduated from there and we follow all the teams (not always too exciting).

I don't know how you "get" a team- but it is really fun to "have" a team. Ok- I was no help- Ha!

michelle said...

this post is cracking me up! I don't have a team either, but I must say I just don't care. And I agree with Jane -- with your enthusiasm, I know you will be welcome into whatever fan club you choose to join!

Deidra said...

The Nationals need all the fans they can get!!! I'm sure no other Nat fans would be offended if you joined our ranks! You should continute to experience DC by going to a game (tickets can be had for so cheap!) It's funny, but growing up with all girls, we were never into baseball. Now, the only teams I have (I cheer for the Mets, too) are baseball teams. Is it legal to have two teams?

Bevan said...

for college pick the closest ACC team. That would be Maryland Terps.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Fallon...

As a die-hard Buckeye (born and breed) let me say that we would be honored to have you as a member of our ranks. As you know we are passionate about everything Buckeye. The 2nd best thing about 2002 was our Football National Championship, the best thing was Ellie's adoption!

When and if you do pick a team, make sure you're prepared for the emotional toll it will take on your life, like losing national championships in different sprots in the same year to the same team.

It is also perfectly acceptable to start cheering for your husband's team.