Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2007



SPT (Wednesday edition)
Challenge: Fall comfort food

For sure it would have to be my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. It is the best way to start off fall having this cook in your home. I can't believe I have not made it yet this year. Enjoy the recipe

Enjoy the recipe it is one of our family favorites!

Pumpkin Bread

3 cups of sugar

1 cup of salad oil (this recipe is from a book my families church group made 30 years ago. and it makes me laugh the wording of salad oil, i never realized that. it just means like Canola oil but you could use olive oil too)

4 eggs, beaten

1 (16oz) can of pumpkin

3 ½ cup of flour

2 tsp. Baking soda

2 tsp. Salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp allspice

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp cloves

2/3 cup of water

cream sugar and oil together. Add eggs and pumpkin; mix well. Sift together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients alternately with water. Pour into 2 well greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees. 1 ½ hour or so or until knife comes out clean.

I always make these in cupcakes. Mini and normal size.I always add mini choc. Chips about a cup. Mix the choc chips with 1 Tsp of flour so they don’t sink in the batter.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

1) i love the tip about the mini chips. we made pumpkin spice bars recently (MSL) and i felt like the chocolate chips were a little overpowering.

2) i've never heard that about mixing the chips with flour. brilliant!

Adam Buchanan said...

OFFICE TONIGHT!!! Don't you just feel so priveleged to live closer to scranton then I do!?

Come out to st. george in may for a triathlon, its a sprint so its not the full length. We are so excited to do it...woot woot!

Elizabeth said...

This is what I was going to do for spt exactly. But sadly never got to it. I will have to try your recipe.

carlo said...

no way! that will keep them from sinking?

we love pumpkin here so may have to give it a try.

Smith Family said...

Yum! Your Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread looks delicious. I am not a big fan on anything pumpkin but I might just have to give your recipe a try.

Barb said...

I am so happy to spy the pineapple good mail holder :^)
All of my American transplant friends say that Libby's is the best canned pumpkin, but I keep forgetting to pick some up when I go down to Montana.
I'll be trying that recipe, thanks for the chocolate chip/flour tip.

j said...

oh wow- i have to try this! :) i'm a pumpkin chocolate chip addict.

Jill said...

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't enjoy pumpkin anything to eat. I enjoy pumpkins as decor for the fall, but definitely not as a food item.

Why is this the first time we're seeing your computer area? Weird, I want to see more.

Anonymous said...

And here I thought I was the only one who knew about the flour trick- dang! I am so trying your recipe.

melanie said...

Yum! I love the smell of pumpkin bread cooking. A fall favorite for sure!

Liz said...

Yum! I absolutely love pumpkin chocolate chip bread and muffins! I made some last week! Mmmmm

Anonymous said...

Ok...I must be dumb. What is Salad Oil? I always only use EVOO. I asked some friends and they aren't sure either so I don't feel so bad.

everything pink! said...

sunshine. that is so funny. this recipe is from a book my families church group made 30 years ago. and it makes me laugh the wording of salad oil, i never realized that. it just means like Canola oil but you could use olive oil too.

Chris said...

I have to try your recipe. I love pumpkin. I make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. This will be great to give the kids! Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your marathon!

Amanda :-) said...

Oops, I don't think I can get tinned pumpkin here. *blinks*

This sounds very indulgent, though, and very autumnal.

Can you abandon your healthy marathon diet now, then, and revert back to stodgy comfort food? Hurrah!

Missy said...

those sound so good - I am going to go make them RIGHT NOW!!!
:)
Missy

Missy said...

Delicious!:)

{natalie} said...

what is salad oil?? these sound so delicious! and WAY TO FREAKING GO on the marathon. i am absolutely amazed that you trained in less than a year. that is so awesome kristi. you are inspiring!!!

michelle said...

Eva and I made this tonight. So good!

Chanel Palmer said...

You have no idea how often I refer to your blog for recipes- Thank you!

Now... on to making some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies!