Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Marathon
the mile by mile

Many days while I was training I would dream of being able to write down my actual day and have a post in my journal called, "My Marathon". It is just as exciting writing about it as it was running it.

We left the day before to stay the night in Baltimore. I met Jeff at the parking lot of the Temple after work so he didn't have to drive all the way home. While I sat in the parking lot waiting for him I was talking to my brother Ryan and telling him how incredibly nervous I was. I was kind of a wreck. I had had the flu the week before and had missed my last long run of 8 miles from being sick and the last time I tried to run I could not do more than 2 miles. So my biggest fear was just not finishing. I had given Ryan my big sob story and after he let me finish he said, "ok well there is no question you are going to finish" I can not begin to explain the rush that went through my body when he said that. It meant so much to me for him to have that kind of confidence in me and I decided to believe him. He then sent me this text message about 10 minutes later that I memorized and replayed in my head at about mile 2.

Kristi, I know that whatever happens you will not only make us, your girls, Jeff and yourself proud but also God. He will be your biggest cheerleader.
Ryan

Jeff and I were excited to have a night with just us, as we stayed in Baltimore the night before. We went to Little Italy and had a yummy carb loading dinner at Sabatino's. I really have no idea the science behind eating pasta before , but Jeff did and everyone I know who runs does so that is all that mattered.

Jeff and I didn't talk much during dinner, I think we were both so nervous. I was excited to feel justified to eat as much pasta as I wanted, but could barely eat a thing I was so nervous.
The silliest little things get me so excited. Like when we were walking out the door and the owner says to us, "good luck in the marathon tomorrow". I was so excited that just by looking at me he thought I could actually run it.
Jeff and I had fun getting all of our gear out the night before and figuring out how to hold all of our goo and gear we wanted to have with us. my friend Emily G. had called me the day before and gave us the tip of safety pinning the goo to the shorts. We must have looked so funny in our hotel room running around practicing to see how it felt.
The next morning the alarm clock went off at 6:00 am and Jeff and I looked at each other like, "here we go!" I just have to say again what a bonding experience this was for us, the fact that neither of us had done this before was such a blessing. We NEEDED each other!
We had hoped to order room service that morning but we left too early and so thank goodness my neighbor had sent us with some bagels. We each had half a bagel and one caffeine goo packet. I don't think this is suggested in any training but it was our plan.
Before I put my shoes on I wrote myself some encouraging notes on my feet in a pink sharpie, which will be my new tradition before any more marathons or long runs. (traditions are not just for holidays) I had loved the idea of Shawna B. having her kids sign her shoes but since they are my only running shoes I went for the skin. But if the kids would have been with us I would have had them sign my feet too. I had also put three pink beads on my shoe laces to remind of my girls while I was running. I wanted to make them so proud.
I wore these Balega socks that were sent to me by my sister in law Melissa. (she does look like the girl on the Nike ad) Jeff was very superstitious on what socks he would wear and advised me not to wear socks I had not trained in. I had trained in ones similar to this and the fact that my sister in law, who is very fast on her feet, had touched them I knew they would give me good luck and they did.
Jenn had said she thought I would have worn pink and honestly if I could have found a pink running outfit I would have! I had looked for months. I didn't even know what I was going to wear until the night before because all of my shorts during training had caused chaffing and so I was a little worried. But I did wear a pink polka dotted grosgrain ribbon in my hair. I had many people screaming on the side, "go girl with the pink ribbon!"

Before we left the hotel we knelt and said a prayer together, I had Jeff say it because I was so nervous. Again, an awesome experience for the both of us.
The morning was a little cold but so nice. My friend Emily had also given me the tip to bring a long sleeve t-shirt I could wear during the race until I got warm and throw it off the side of the road. I was so grateful for this tip! When I ripped it off at about mile 2 I felt like Brandi Chaistain and actually kind of cool. (yet I looked nothing like her)

the big question and concern of the day is going to the bathroom. I was lucky that when I got up I was able to go right away and get almost everything out of me. Jeff waited until right before the race and so we stood in line at the porta potties (chanel they were no pot of gold). this photo is the long line, because everyone is dealing with the same problem. They have potties at different water stations to use. For the record I went to the bathroom twice on the road. Mile 6 and about mile 20.
The race started at 8:00 am. There were not as many people as I had imagined getting in line. Jeff walked me to the back which is where my expected finish time was. I was so nervous. He waited with me for a minute and then said, "do you want me to help you find a friend?" It was like the first day of school.
One of the big reasons I did this had to do with my word of the year. I had decided to not be so afraid of putting myself in uncomfortable situations and stretch myself a bit. As I stood there I thought, "what was I thinking?"
There was a guy next to me juggling 5 balls, that he did the entire race while running. Another guy jumping rope and another guy dressed up in a huge box the size of himself as a light box. (they all finished before I did) I was with most of the over 50 age group and just did a lot of listening and a little bit of crying.
Right before we started I said a prayer that I would miraculously be able to run this race even if my body could not. The amazing story of the day was how this prayer was answered.

Then the race started and they shot off a lot of confetti and had loud music playing.

First Mile.
The first few miles are all uphill. I did not know this ahead of time. I had so much anxiety and was so nervous. There were crowds around me and I think if I could have figured out how to get out of the group I would have. Then I started thinking
  • about the fact I said on my blog that i have a secret and how i would then reveal that my secret was I had THOUGHT about running a marathon and ran half a mile and quit!
  • Then I remembered Ryan's test message
  • and the last words my sister in-law (the one who looks like the Nike ad) said to me kept going over and over in my head, One foot in front of the other. I said it over and over again.
  • I told myself to not turn around and look back and see what was in the back. I was so afraid I was the last person.
  • I then stared playing in my head all the names of people that I had actually told I was doing this (not that many people) and the excuse I would have to come up with each one of them why I decided to quit

A few weeks before the marathon I found out that music devices were not allowed and it said in the book you could be disqualified. This was not good news for me. I had my running mix down to a science of what songs would play at what mile. They were all feel good songs and most of them came from my "can't feel myself running post" that everyone shared their favorite running songs. I had bought almost all of the songs that Amanda:) had suggested and had thought of her on every run. So the night before in the hotel Jeff and I talked about my decision to bring my ipod or not. I felt the guilt of not keeping the rules. This was a testing my testimony of exact obedience. I chose not to wear it.I also had never ran with anyone during my training other than one time with my sister in law. I learned that I can not talk and run at the same time.

At about mile 2 a woman came up to me and introduced herself to me and asked me how I was doing. She was 51 years old and this was her 14th marathon. Yes 14! I surprised myself that I was able to talk back to her and not fall over. We talked for about half of a mile and then I lost it. I started to tell her how I was trying to get the guts up to quit for the past mile and was so grateful to her for coming up to me and saving me! I was crying in that kind of sucking air crying and not being able to catch your breath. I was so grateful to her. She said, "ok I got it, your welcome. now stop crying or you are going to faint"
I asked her what her number one advice would be for running a marathon. She said, "you enjoy every minute of this day and the whole experience" I took her advice seriously and did just that.

She then became my Bob Greene and I was her Oprah. She was a motivator. She told me I was doing a good job. She told me when to drink water, when to grab the gummy bears and to grab as many has my hands could hold and that I could always throw them down later. She told me to grab the bag of potato chips they were passing out and eat them now and save the banana for later when we were running along the Bay. She became fast friends with everyone around us and introduced me as the new girl running her first one. (keep in mind I was with all the runners over 60 at this point) The best thing was that she ran faster than I ever had and at our half point I was 2 miles faster than I had ever run and my half marathon time was actually only an hour off Jeff's time. I was so proud!

then the best part of the marathon happened for me at about my mile 7 and Jeff's mile 13. The course looped around itself and the fastest runners were now running past us slow people. I then realized that I might be able to find Jeff in the crowd. I was looking so hard to see if I could find his muted, grey shirt in the crowd (ha!) Then I saw him and I got so excited. He and I both got out of the running packs (his running pack was much larger than mine) and he came to me and gave me a big kiss and said, "you are doing great, I love you!" and in a flash he was back to his pace. I loved telling my new friend that was my husband and look how fast he was! i would run it all over again for that one kiss.

Then at the half way point another highlight and total surprise. I was one, way ahead of my time and if I had finished the last half in the same time would have finished at 5:40. But two, I came around the corner of the inner harbor and there sat a friend from church, Rachelle. She is 9 months pregnant and was waiting for me! Her sister was running it too. Rochelle had waited for me! I of course started to cry. I ran to the side and gave her the biggest hug and said as I was running, "thank you so much for encouraging me to do this and supporting me" I was on a runners high. Her doing that for me meant so much to me.

Then Mile 14 came and my knees were talking to me like never before. My Bob Greene asked me how I was doing and I said, not so great. We had only walked through one water station! I had never trained more than two miles of running without a walking break, so I was thrilled. She encouraged me again by saying this is your first one and this can be a tough spot for you. Just keep going and try your hardest. I kept repeating in my head, "one foot in front of the other"

I now started being 2 steps behind her and then 4 and then 8 then she was getting further and further ahead. I was constantly looking and the words I had written on my hand in pink sharpie. "you can do this!" I now had lost my running buddy at about mile 16 and I knew the 3 miles of hills were coming and I was scared.

I then came to mile 17. This was also emotional for me because the most mileage I had ever run was 17 miles in training. (my training schedule was 18) When I came around and saw this sign. (can you believe I took this cool photo with a cell phone!) I was so excited and then something just kicked me in high gear and I said, "you are going to finish this race!" I was on my own but had some familiar faces around me. There was the dad who was running with his two teenage kids teaching them to run their first marathon and kept calling his son "Champ" it was quite endearing. He would tell all of us around him, look at my kids they are doing it! all the while he was running backwards motivating his kids ( I want that to me someday with my girls)

Then the famous hills of the race started to come. They were through some of the roughest parts of town. I will never be able to thank those incredible people who sat on their steps cheering me on but they became my new Bob Greene. One lady at the bottom of the hill as the runners began to run up was yelling "it is all downhill from here"

The route went through the town of Baltimore and there were people on every street cheering and yelling for you, lined with people. Every intersection on the route (and there were many) had a police man there to stop traffic I thanked everyone for their time. And most of them would say "go 568 you can do this" I have to say I enjoyed seeing the entire intersection being stopped so just little old me could run on through. I found myself waving at the honking cars cheering out their windows for me. I thanked everyone yelling for me and loved waving at them all.

I met a girl at mile 18 from North Carolina who had blisters on her feet and said she was so hungry. I stayed with her for awhile and gave her some of my food. I gave her the same advice that was given to me and just enjoy the day.
Right as we got into this one park with this large lake there was a man that had parked his car on the side and was just sitting there to cheer on the runners. As I ran past him he said, "I have been waiting for you all day" This was a pretty awesome part of the run for me. No one in front of me and no one behind. I told myself that I wanted to finish running the whole thing. I didn't want to say I had run a marathon, but walked the last 6 miles. Even though I was going slow, I was running. (keep in mind in April I could not run longer than one minute) Jeff called on the cell phone and asked how I was doing and I said, "Great! I feel awesome" I was smiling from ear to ear.
As I came around the corner the marathon photographers were there and took some of these photos.


I was waving like crazy at them. All I needed was a red carpet.
I had practiced my arms in the air on my training so that came second nature to me.
At this point I was just giddy. I think I had about 6 miles to go. The neighborhood right after this park there was a guy on his front porch with a microphone and a huge speaker system playing and singing to the song, The Final Countdown. He yelled my number and said "come up this hill you can do it 568". If I honestly thought I could find his house again and had $100 I would put it in his mailbox. Jeff had remembered him as well (three hours earlier) and said how much he motivated him as well.
This bridge was tough for me. I had a bananna in my hand that had been there for a long time so I thought this would be a good time to eat it. I carried the peel for awhile and hated throwing things on the side of the road but finally found a good spot to put it.

I was now on the home stretch and called Jeff with a mile to go and to let him know I was coming. I had so many feelings rushing through my body and could not believe that my 6 month goal was now coming true.
I had always wanted to say I was a marathon runner and now I could.

But then another wonderful thing happened.


My Bob Greene was there at the finish line! She had waited for me! She had finished about 30 minutes earlier. She came and hugged me and I squeezed the guts out of her. How do I even begin to thank her for what she did for me? This woman saved me from quitting. She stayed by my side and kept me going. She told me when to go to the bathroom. She told me when to eat. She taught me to high five the police men. And most importantly she told me to enjoy every moment - and I did!


I was crying so hard when Jeff took this photo.
She lives just 10 miles down the road from me. I can't remember her name, but am hoping I can find her by her number. She is getting the biggest thank you card I know how to write. I will never forget her!


It was just a dang great day! And yes... I am hooked. I want to do another one as soon as I can. I loved it! It was great! It was hard. It was exciting. It was scary. It stretched me further than I knew I could be stretched.

I just had to add one photo of Jeff before he crossed the finish line and say he is Superman! I wish so bad that someone would have been there when he finished and I know he surprised even himself on how well he did. He always believed I could do this and supported me all the way!
And so my lesson and blessing at the end of the day had to do with not using my ipod. I can guarantee that if I had worn it that my Bob Greene would never have come up and talked to me. She would have gone right on past me. I believe I was blessed with her by my side because of my willingness to be obedient to the rules. Here I had prayed that my body would miraculously do something I didn't know if it could do, but that was not how my prayers were answered. I still had to do it myself, but I was given help to do it. This lesson will forever stay with me.
I want to be that Bob Greene to someone else that my friend was to me. I want to be the answer to someone's prayers that that woman was to me.

I had a dream, and it was big and it came true!


Kacey - I ended up with Brooks - the same shoes I had to begin with. The super feet made a huge difference for me.
I think the rest of the questions were answered in my post, if not let me know.
Song - Dram Big - Ryan Shupe and the rubberband. It is the best slide show song ever!

70 comments:

Anna said...

Very cool. And a BIG congratulations!

Laurie said...

I am not supposed to be looking at blogs (I should be working on my calling, etc) but that was seriously interesting and fun to read. How wonderful that you were blessed with so many cheering you on and by your very own Bob Greene. I am seriously impressed that you did this. It's hard for me to imagine being able to do something like this. I'm starting to think though that I want to run a lot more seriously after I'm done having babies.

Wendi said...

What a very beautiful post. Congratulations to you girl! You deserve every bit of satifaction and joy that came from running that marathon. I love your integrity.

andrea said...

I am just catching up on your blog and what inspiring writing. You are awesome for doing this. I love all the emotion that you conveyed and I love that you were Oprah and had a Bob Greene. That woman that helped you seriously rocks.

What a great experience for you and Jeff too. It sounds so fun to do together and something you will always remember.

I am also fascinated by the the part about the ipod. At first I thought it was lame that they didn't allow ipods on the marathon. But you would have been so cheated from so much had you taken it with you.

There is so much in this experience. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Elisa said...

I am totally bawling. I loved reading this.

When I ran the Pioneer Day 10K I was passed by a CLOWN and barely beat this woman who looked like the oldest woman alive. Running leather I tell ya. I started training for a marathon, and could give you all the excuses of why I didn't finish, but the bottom line is I need to suck it up, put myself first once and awhile and finish that goal.

Lindsay said...

I am crying again. I love the way you chose to embrace life, recognize the many choice blessings around you, and do something totally amazing. Thanks for inspiring me.

Alisa said...

That was beautiful. I am crying about somebody running! It gives me such motivation to go towards my goals! It is incredible that you had such a short time frame of when you set this goal. WAY TO GO!

Julie said...

Way to go! I was surprised to see this post-what an accomplishment! I am glad you discovered your "Bob Greene" - no music would have been a big challenge for me (BTW-most of my music is from your post last winter too). Awesome!

Anonymous said...

She waited for you! Oh my, you have me in tears again. Loved this!!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

What a great post!! I just sent it to my sister in law. She works for Brooks. She has run in the Olympic Trials for the 10K and the last Olympic Trials the Marathon. She did not qual but we had a great time cheering her on.

I love the Bob Greene lady!! What great photo's.

Melissa said...

I just loved reading this. You are such an inspiration. I wish I could put in to words everything I'm thinking and feeling. I just hope you realize how much you touch others through sharing your experiences. Thank-you!

crystal said...

I've been LOVING your marathon posts! Keep 'em coming! You've totally made me want to do one, & I've always vowed "NO WAY." I love how you share your emotional & spiritual journey as part of the training & the accomplishment.

I pronounce you my new mentor!

p.s. dancinqueen is my friend in real life--just so you know i'm not a weirdie stalker.

Anne said...

I love this! Thanks for posting all of the details! You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

I am so encouraged by your post!! My husband and i want to start running....this is motivation for sure!! congratulations...you should be very proud of yourself!

April said...

I am in tears, again. You are such an inspiration. I am not running a marathon, but I am stretching myself in other ways right now. Reading this helps me to know that I can reach my goals, especially with my Heavenly Father's help (or helpers!).

Deidra said...

I love it! A couple we're pretty good friend with just ran their first marathon in September. Just standing near the finish line made me all emotional. You accomplished something great!

One thing I've heard from triathelete friends and saw at the TOU Marathon was people had written their name on their shirt or bib. It made it so awesome to cheer for someone by their name, even if you didn't know them. (And I can only imagine the boost it gave them.) Just a suggestion for the next marathon!

Christina said...

Your posts are so packed with meaning. There are so many lessons that can be applied to life besides the ones you outlined. Thanks again for sharing your journey. I'm all teary!

Kristine said...

I got the chills about 3 times while I was reading your post, and now I am crying too.
Congratulations!
You have inspired me... to stretch myself too!

Anonymous said...

I love this post, and I love how much it is inspiring me to go for my goal. I've got to get started!! You are awesome, and I'm so excited that you were able to do this, with such great blessings included. Congrats!

Tidbitz said...

AWesome!!!! It would have been fun to cheer you on! you are a kick-butt mom for sure!

RoRo2 said...

I love your marathon posts, so inspiring! Thanks again for sharing your journey, it's lifted me up and I needed that.

On the side I love super feet too!

carlo said...

would you be my bob greene, kristi? wonderful post. as i sit here reading your awesome adventure, in tears, i would love to picture myself doing it someday but i just can't see it.

i think i had better conquer a 10k or a 1/2 but wow do you give me inspiration!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for sharing and again, congratulations!!!!!!

patsy said...

Wow- now I am in tears!
Beautiful post- great job
I am so proud of you~ thank you for inspiring so many others to STRETCH too.

Kristin said...

Ok, so it has been less than a week of reading about your marathon, and I can't seem to get through any of the posts without tearing up at least twice. So, for those of us tired, pregnant moms out here, could you not be SO INSPIRING, just for a minute :)
Just kidding, I have LOVED reading about your experience and am feeling so inspired to set and accomplish a goal like this!

michelle said...

WOW again. I am so glad you shared all of these details, Kristi. I am sitting here in tears, and you should know that is no small feat!

I am loving the thought of the woman who helped you so much, and that she waited for you at the end! I love all of the people who cheered for you and encouraged you along the way. I love the pink Sharpie notes you wrote on your skin. I love that Jeff passed you and stopped to kiss you. I love that you stretched yourself so much and accomplished something SO BIG!!

Price Cream Parlor said...

I. love. this. post! You have totally inspired me! Not just in the running the race - but in finishing the race - in all that we do! Stretching ourselves is a good thing! I LOVE the story behind the Bob Greene lady! When you do find her - copy off your blog page and mail that to her as well. What an inspiration! This is just so cool, Kristi on so many levels! Honestly! AMAZING!

Lauralee said...

oh that just makes me cry... simply amazing.. love your lesson on obedience.. what a blessing she was for you.. and incredible that you recognize it just like that.. you are an inspiration.. if I ever decide to run a marathon I would want you right next to me!

okay can I still ask another question.. I was thinking of you this am, when I was getting ready.. and this is what I wonder.. what is it that is inside of you that makes you so determined? I know you hear.. you can do anything you make up your mind to do.. but that sounds in some ways so simple.. where does your determination come from?
thank you so much for sharing!

stefanie said...

Kristi,
I remember commenting a few months ago on a post you had written about icing your feet and all the other things you were going through trying to become a runner. At the time I couldn't understand why in the world you would want to put your body through that kind of torture... but now I do.

It wasn't about you just wanting to learn to like running... it was about willing yourself... mind and body to do something that you never thought you could. I am so proud of your accomplishment and I'm glad you were able to find lots of encouragement and support along the way!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kristi!
One tip for next time...(someone taught me this for the 180 mile bike ride I do from Houston to Austin every year) Instead of wearing a long sleave shirt to throw away, wear men's long dress socks on your arms. Just cut off the toe and put the heel part up on your elbow. No one will ever know and you can get them at the dollar store!
Way to go! Enjoy the "high" for as long as it lasts!

Michelle Alley said...

Oh Krists - what a wonderful post. I love that you remembered all the little things that happened during the race, and it makes me really want to run a marathon. I love that you practiced your victory hand sin the air, really truly, thanks for posting this in true Kristi fashion. As for your Bob Greene, it's true about your answers to your prayers, and I can't wait to hear about you finding her!

Amy said...

Holy cow. I just read all of this and have been crying since mile 2. Thank you for sharing your details. It is truly an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is awesome. You are an inspiration. I loved reading and seeing all the photos- such an accomplishment!!

Liz said...

Kristi, it has been so fun to read about your race! It just gives me the chills to read about how everything just came together and you were able to finish! You are an amazing girl!

Unknown said...

Kristi-

I have tears streaming down my face. I have wanted to run a marathon for about he last 5 years.
I keep talking myself out of it because number 1, I have never really enjoyed running. And number 2, I am the kind of person who does not attempt things unless I know I can accomplish it and accomplish it very well.
I need to get over that.

Your posts about this marathon have been just the heart song my heart needed to do this. I want to prove to myself that I am mentally and physically a strong person (beside the fact that I deliever my babies unmedicated ;P)

Thank you for sharing this with all of us. It has changed my life.

CG said...

What an accomplishment! Congrats!

Shauna said...

This is so inspiring. I wont tire of hearing your marathon accounts. Thanks for stretching and sharing as you stretch!

crystal said...

Hi again. I need running help--i asked you (& a few others) a question on my post today; go see. Thanks!

Kathleen said...

That was a 5 kleenex post! Thanks so much for sharing your marathon story! I admire your perserverance so much! I live on the marathon route in SLC and spend most of marathon day outside cheering on the runners(and crying). It is so amazing to see the dedication that you marathon runners have. Congrats!

Buffy said...

That is an amazing experience to read about. I am in tears and need a box of kleenex. I can feel the emotion in your post. I want to do this. You have helped me know that I can set a big goal and accomplish it if I want.

I am so happy for you!!

jenny said...

I am so glad you took the time to write this down. Something you will look back on and cherish forever. It makes me want to run one--and I have never run past 6. Way to go!!

Chanel Palmer said...

You are so awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to type this all out and share it with us.

Thanks for leaving Linda's message on my machine. I had just come home from running all over town to get stuff for different projects I'm working on and thinking "Why do I do this?". It was just what I needed to hear to remind me why.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I didn't think that reading about someone else's marathon could make me cry but you did. I'm proud of you! You'll always be the girl who can do it all in my mind!

melanie said...

Tears Kristi! I'm so glad you had Bob Greene! What a blessing, and the example of obedience is amazing. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I bet this post will be one you reread the most.

Doodle Bugs said...

I love reading this journey of yours! I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!

Marcie said...

Thank you for this post. I honestly think it is the most inspiring thing I have read in a long time. What a gift to share this with all of us... strangers included.

Bond Girl 007 said...

OH kristi the only marathon I would run is to a restaurant of my choice...you are just inspiring and wonderful of what is to set a goal and go for it. Especially sharing this with your husband must have been amazing. You go girl!

Amy W. said...

I had no idea you were training for such an extraordinary feat! Congratulations, congratulations!

Missy said...

I have tears running down my face reading your post and seeing the pictures.
I am so proud of you and inspired by you!
missy

Anonymous said...

So great that you were able to stick to your goal and not let sickness, weather, etc. keep you from doing it. You will always be so glad you did -- great account --I had thought about training for a half marathon, but that was as far as it got -- thinking and doing are entirely different, and I have enjoyed reading about your doing it!!! Love you, and I hope you are feeling okay this week.

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

My favorite part of all this is seeing your 49+ cheerleaders come out and congradulate you. You are an amazing person that everyone on earth should have the opportunity to meet. Continue to do what you do.

P.S. Please come to AZ next April to run a measley 4.2 miles with me, I'm flying your family out here!

Rebecca said...

Congrats! All of my in-laws are marathoners and every time I watch them cross the finish line I get teary myself. What an accomplishment! You have inspired me and hope that one day I can accomplish that too! Thanks for sharing the personal details.

amy gretchen said...

what an awesome accomplishment! congrats!

Jinii said...

I am so amazed and impressed. I have always wanted to run a marathon and you have inspired me to make it happen! Thank you for sharing your amazing experience.

Anonymous said...

I am crying like a baby after reading your post. What a wonderful 1st marathon. I have wanted to run like this for so lone but have let other things get in the way. You have become my Bob Greene or maybe you are Oprah who inspires others to get up and try. My training ( although I am not sure where to start) starts today. What is wonderful about this desire now that burns with in. Is the fact that my son is a cross country runner. I can ask him how to start, let him show me how to train. As he is coached by one of the very best here in Utah. His school just won 2nd in state, the won region. He helped with that win. I Loved your post so much. It was by far the best post I have read in a while.

Anne said...

I just looked at this again, and I just wanted to say...I TOTALLY forgot to look up and smile for the camera when I crossed the finish line. I am looking down with a big ole frown. I'm so bummed! Yours is darling! Are you going to buy your pics?

Liz Snowden said...

Kristi, You are totally inspiring. I cried all the way through the account of the marathon. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I have copied all these and have them saved. They are just not going to get old. I love that you are sharing them and still just have this excited feeling for you. It is just so stinkin' cool Kristi!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't even know you- I got a link from someone I do know and I saw the thing about the marathon and just had to read it. I am running my first on November 10th in Richmond. I am really starting to get nervous and reading your blog really helped. I will try and enjoy every moment of it!

Lisa said...

Congratulations - great post!!!

Amanda :-) said...

Heck, can I make this a round 60 for your comments??

What an amazing experience. I'm so glad that the music I suggested helped you in your training, and feel honoured that you thought of me when you listened to it. I'm actually GLAD that the success of your running music became a test for your convictions over the iPod, as I think we all regularly need to make testing decisions like that to keep sharp. And, of course, I'm thrilled that you stuck to your word with Jeff.

Your Bob Greene must be one of those angels they talk about in the Bible who actually walk the earth with us. I absolutely believe it. Well done, Kristi!

Jill said...

Okay, this post made me cry (and I almost never cry)! I felt like I was there with you and really wished I would have been.

I think it is beyond cool that you met your Bob Greene because you didn't wear your iPod! She sounds like an amazing woman, I hope you find her so you can send her that thank you note. It's so great that she waited for you at the finish and that you were able to get a picture of the 2 of you together.

I'm so motivated right now I actually want to go out and run (and I never run). What in the world? I think you may be starting a blogger's running revolution right here, right now!!

Erin said...

Wow Pink Girl,
I don't know how to start. Your Post was so touching and so inspiring. I can't stop crying. You wrote so beautifully about your entire experience and you definitly have a way with words. I felt like I was with you, trying to put one foot in front of the other. I feel so humble right now and peaceful. Thanks for the lesson and the example. I have my first race in 10 years coming up, my first since my kids, and I havn't been training long enough. I am nervous, I am scared. I only have to run 4 miles, but it feels like a marathon. I think I will copy you and write on my feet. I think I will write a note on my hand, and I think I will run the entire race. I've been making up excuses in my head that it will be okay if I have to stop and walk. I don't want to stop. I want to run. I want to keep running even if I'm moving slower than I would walking. I want you to know that you will be my Bob Greene. You will be the echo in my head, the friend that keeps telling me to just put one foot in front of the other and to enjoy every minute. Think of me on Thanksgiving. I'll be the girl that left my ipod at home. I'll be the one that finishes the race with a few new friends. I'll be thinking of you!

www.petersoncamp.blogspot.com

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

www.petersoncamp.blogspot.com/2007/11/give-me-four.html

Barb said...

I never had any interest in running a marathon till you started blogging about it. Darn you.

cropstar said...

What a beautiful post! I am in tears! Looks like this was an amazing journey for you. Thank you for sharing it. It has given me some much needed inspiration for my own marathon training. You are so blessed to have had your "Bob Greene" and your husband there (not to mention all those who cheered for you) at the finish line! I would have been in tears just like you!

Erin said...

Kristi,

I just wanted to let you know that after a bad run last night, and an 8miler this weekend...I had to come and read your Mile by Mile again. I am really nervous for the SLC 1/2 marathon coming up. I keep thinking that there is no way that I can do it, but your story gives me so much motivation. Thank you so much! Just wanted you to know that your story is still changing lives. Are you going to be in SLC?

Jenni Coberly said...

I found your blog through a comment you left on the Design Mom blog because I too will be in SLC on the 25th.....anyway, your posts about your marathon made me cry. I just completed my first sprint triathlon. In October I couldn't run more than a couple of minutes, I had never been on a road bike and I couldn't even swim one lap. The water terrified me....I was a side stroke gal. Anyway, I turned 30 this year and made the goal tha i was going to do this. I met my time goal and was very proud of myself. I also have a picture of me with my arms out stretched at the finish line. It's amazing what our bodies can accomplish when we make up our minds to do it.

My friend from SLC has begged me to run a marathon with her. I really don't like to run, but your story has inspired me. I'll keep you posted. Thank you so much for your story!!

Jenni Coberly said...

P.S. Brooks shoes are the best!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this. It was great, it got me teary eyed. That's so awesome, I have been wanting to do a marathon and you just got me wanting to acutaly do it. Congrates on finishing!