Pages

Thursday, November 08, 2007

photos from March 2007
McDonald's Miracle

Today after preschool I took the girls to McDonald's for lunch. They don't have place place's here, or at least near where we live. The only one I have seen is 45 minutes away by the ribbon outlet. They still get so excited when we go inside and sit down to eat.
I know i will regret saying this someday, but before training for the marathon I used to eat fast food 3 days a week. I never thought twice about eating fries and such. I don't know if it was the running or giving up diet coke, but I have a hard time stomaching fast food now. I never said i was cutting out fast food, it just kind of happened and that my friends is a MIRACLE! In fact today when we were there, I didn't eat one thing and had no desire to. It was kind of shocking actually when I think about and what a change this has been for me.
It has not made me magically skinny, I probably lost about 15-20 pounds this year but really don't look much different. (obviously - remember the lady who asked me if i was pregnant the week after the marathon.. yikes) But I think I feel a ton better. taking photos of packaging is great way to journal

I am not against eating fast food and will in the future, (how can I not when I live so close to Ben's Chili Bowl) but it was kind of a miracle today that it didn't even phase me to take not bite!
Now if I can just work on the sugar thing. I snuck into Annie Kate's Halloween candy bag and ate some on the way to the gym tonight... i am crazy. The girl does not eat her candy! She has it all rationed out on eating one a day and has them underneath little tags she made that say, Sunday, Monday... but she keeps forgetting to eat them. She must get her self discipline from Jeff.
But for the record, I still love McDonald's. If I drank diet coke they have the best around! And I love their toys and happy meal boxes - what makes a new movie fun to go to is the then go to McDonald's and get the matching toy afterwards.

17 comments:

Ryann said...

Ahh...the fast food issue. I have been wrestling with this one the last few months. Making it a regular habit has been hard on my budget and I know my body too. Its great you are overcoming some of those cravings--maybe if I excercised I would have more of an incentive. It is borderline becoming an addiction. YIKES! Thanks again for the "food for thought!"

Traci said...

I am with you on the eating out. I think it has become an addiction for me. Worse- McDonald's is like across the street from me!! Thanks goodness I don't drink coffee since Dunkin Donuts is next door to McDonald's!
I have got to cut it out too! Good for you for doing it!

Rachel said...

No small feat! I have a hard time with nutrition. I am a junk food junky so I really admire the changes you've made!

Jill said...

I'm not to the point that I don't want fast food any more, but I am to the point where sometimes when I think about getting it I find that I don't really want it--this always surprises me. I feel like that's a babystep break through of sorts.

Shauna said...

Im with you on this. Try having your dearest friends OWN 25 Mc Donalds all around you, your older children manage the stores....free food at your disposal... you get the picture. I had to get control of this situation a few years back. This Jan 1 will be 6 years without a Mc Donalds French Fry! Not even a small bite. I love them, but I was out of control... and yes..if I was still drinking Coke..theirs is the very best.
When I am exercising, it doesn't call my name...at least as loudly.

Amanda :-) said...

We rarely go to McDonald's and then we only drive through and have it at home.

Not too long ago, I took the girls to a Burger King and ordered ice-creams. It was really quiet. I was the only customer, so I stood at the counter and watched the guy making up the ice-creams. Blimey, I wished I hadn't! It was all just glup squirted out of dispensers and tubes. Absolute rubbish. When we sat down, I couldn't bring myself to eat it - purely because I'd seen it being made. I'm sure if I hadn't seen it, I'd have wolfed it down. :-/

Michelle Alley said...

Good for you Krisit - I'm sure I would have at least had D. Coke and some fries. It's great to see you gaining so much success with your running and change of eating habits. Yeah for yoU!

Rebecca said...

Way to go Kristi. You are stronger than most!! I posted our some of our Halloween pictures. You'll have to see how great the dress fit!

Amy said...

I have to agree that the lack of Diet Coke really takes the allure out of fast foood--though I still eat it once a week. Sugar, though, that's one that's really hard for me. I keep thinking, I gave up Diet Coke. . .I should be able to give up sugar. But my mind hasn't really come around to that idea yet. But still, I keep trying. . .

Laurie said...

I agree that taking photos of packaging is a great way to journal.

crystal said...

I'm with you on the Diet Coke theory; I think DC makes me crave chocolate or trans fats--seriously! The 2 just go together...diet coke makes you need chocolate to go with it.

Letty said...

I have always had a stance against MCDee's and therefore my kids have only eaten there maybe once or twice for other peoples b-day parties. The crazy thing is that the other day when we were in a serious hurry for lunch I stopped and got my kindergartener a taco/fish and chips to try and make a "fish taco" (which is his favorite food). We had 15 minutes to school time and he took one bite and would not eat it. Nor the fish...I had him eat the fries (which he dosen't really like) and that was his lunch! (bad mommy day)
I think because we rarely (if ever) eat fast food, that my kids really don't like it. I know it is crazy but he won't eat hamburgers or chicken nuggets of any variety!
Therefore I am lucky that it really isn't more convenient for us.

Jamie said...

i'm with you...i'm actually disgusted by fast food every time i go. the food, the smell, the cleanliness (or not so cleanliness) of the restaurant, the play place and sometimes the workers.....
it's hard to avoid it all together when you have young kids, but i try not to go very often...it really grosses me out!
-and it's a great feeling not to crave it!!

michelle said...

Very impressive, Kristi. I have never been to a fast food place and not eaten anything! I love the picture of SJ and I love the little Happy Meal toys as well.

Tasha said...

Have you seen SuperSize Me? Its a documentary, since you are on a kick anyways, I watched it 2 years ago and I haven't eaten food at McDonalds since, with the exception of a pregnancy induced need for a sausage mcmuffin....

Seriously, watch it, it will rock your world!

Anonymous said...

I eat fast food once, maybe twice a month, but man I do crave it all the time. I can't believe you were in there and not wanting anything- that is SO cool.

j said...

i'm not the greatest fast food fan, but i am addicted to all things chocolate or baked. it's horrible- it's worse if i bake myself, i think- b/c that's my greatest stress relief!
how i wish for annie kate's self-control! :)