Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ben's Buddy

Annie Kate has a buddy named Ben. We go to Ben's church and Annie Kate goes to his school. Ben was one of the first families we met when we came to town that very first night. They and another couple made us dinner and just an hour after we pulled into town from Tennessee. Ben's dad is a cousin to one of my roommates from BYU. He and his wife are just one of a kind and such a pleasure to know.
There is something about Annie Kate and Ben - it is like they were meant to be friends. She always looks out for him and school kind of like he is her younger brother. I wonder if it is the first kid she met when she moved here.

Ben's awesome parents initiated a Cystic Fibrosis 5K in our neighborhood a few years ago. Two of their children have Cystic Fibrosis. Yesterday was the annual walk and I was just amazed by the incredible support. It was so fun to be able to walk with some of our best friends.

It is days like this when I just feel like our neighborhood is so dreamy and feel so lucky to have the opportunity to live in a place like this.
Annie Kate was exhausted. We had a great day that ended with probably the best ward party I have ever been to - my kids loved it and they were happy and not climbing all over me. The day started with attending our other friends son's baptism and I went to bed feeling blessed to be associated with really amazing buddies!

9 comments:

denise @ little ant design said...

It truly is a blessing to live among great people in both a neighborhood and ward.

I think it is sweet that Annie Kate watches over her friend - if more kids did that some of our school situations would be far better.

Eli said...

our bishop has two kids with Cystic Fibrosis and we have all rallied around their family too. The oldest is 22 now and the other is 14.

I would love to hear about what made your ward activity so great since I am now the ward activities chairman and always looking for great ideas.

Charity said...

Love the polka dot ribbon in Annie Kate's hair! What a fabulous family activity!

RoRo2 said...

From someone who has Cystic Fibrosis and has also had two brothers pass away from CF I want to thank you and your family for participating in Great Strides, we need all the help we can get!

everything pink! said...

eli, it was a beach party.
the decor was bright fun.
the kids played hulu hoop contest, musical chairs and the limbo.
the meal was tacos. rice, black beans and lettuce, cheese and tomatoes.
dessert they had these icees from costco that come in coconuts, pineaples and oranges.
but what made it amazing was
it started on time
it started early so that the kids were not going to bed so late
it had activites for the kids to do . the parents played musical chairs too and then it had a ending - time to go home.
it was just really amazing. i can't believe i didn't bring my camera

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Hi Kristi-
Long time no comment! But I gasped when I saw this post. I grew up with Chelsea and I was friends with Cameron's sister (Paige) at BYU.
I did the walk in San Diego with Sharlie (her sister) yesterday.
What a small world!!!
Take good care of them (looks like you guys already are :).

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh wow...the foto on the bench looks awesome...and it does make you feel like taking a siesta too!

Jill said...

That's a great picture of Annie Kate and Ben, so cute.

I'm glad there was such good support for the 5k, it's always inspiring to see people come together like that.

Jill said...

P.S. I love the picture of Annie Kate asleep on the bench!