Pages

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Trying to find time to read!
This reading thing is really getting to me. How does everyone find time to read? I am just so excited to read my book but can't ever find the time to read it. At night I am so tired I get a chapter in and then fall asleep.
This morning Jeff was home, his first Saturday in almost 2 months! I pretended I was still asleep so he would get up at 6:30 with the girls and then when he went downstairs i grabbed my book and read for an hour! (jill you are right that early morning reading in the cozy is awesome) then after an hour i felt so guilty I got up and went downstairs.
then when it was time to blow dry my hair it took me 25 minutes because i was sitting there reading. I figured as long as the blower was going Jeff would think I was still blow drying my hair.
...not that he is against me reading and i have to hide it, i just feel so bad because i know how crazy the three girls are by yourself.
Anyway, I just thought it was funny for the girl 3 months ago who hated to read, i am now becoming obsessive. Jeff and I were going to rent a movie tonight, but decided to spend the time reading our books. funny huh!
The above photo is a picture of Jeff's mom when she was about 1 years old. I am not sure who is in the photo with her, i hope she will comment so i can remember. But i have been using this photo for my bookmark for my last book and this one. I am not sure why but it was in my drawer. It makes a great bookmark. Caroline saw it the other day and said, "Sally Jane?" it does look much like her.
*** what do you use for your bookmarks when reading*****

9 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so excited for you that you're starting to love to read, it's a gift and a habit that will be both a treat and a comfort to you for the rest of your life.

I'm glad you faked sleep this morning so that you could read for an hour in the cozy. There's nothing quite like it--it's my favorite thing to do.

As for bookmarks, I have a variety of really cute homemade ones from Michelle, but I've been known to use Post It Notes, receipts, and photos.

Amie said...

I have two bookmarks from Jill that I enjoy. Otherwise I usually just remember where I am. I try to limit my reading to right before bed otherwise I can "waste" a lot of time. I do also keep a book with me for those times you are waiting around.

Amy said...

I think on some level we're all readers--some people just have to work a little harder to find things that interest them. I'm glad that you're coming to reading! It is a great way to pass the time. Oh, and don't feel bad about prentending to sleep so that you can have some reading time. Don't tell Jeremy, but I do it almost every Saturday!

Tasha said...

Kristi, I read one chapter a night, before I go to sleep. I have to, its how I un-wind. Its really the only time I have to read. While Dave was interviewing we had two days by ourselves (the first time since Evie was born) and one morning I got to lay in bed until 9 am and read!!! I am currently using a 2.5 incg lime green with white polka dots grosgrain ribbon as my book mark. I want to figure out how to put interfacing or something between felt or something and cool ribbon like that and monogram it. I think it would make a cool book mark.
Tasha

Anonymous said...

I have one nice bookmark that Rachelle gave me, but other than that I use whatever paper I can see when I need one. I even use money every now and then- I'm less likely to spend it that way I guess. I think I need to break down and make a few one of these days...

I read everywhere- I never thought about doing it while blowdrying my hair though! I have really long hair too, so that could be a long stretch of reading right there. Thanks for the idea!

michelle said...

I love it! I'm so excited that you're looking for ways to squeeze in reading time -- that's what I do. Jana in our book club reads while drying her hair, I don't know how she does it, but do whatever works! And I have to disagree with Amie -- reading is never wasting time, quotes or not. I have some bookmarks that Jill made that are my favorites. If I can't find them or they are in other books, I use receipts, Post-its, or, currently, a paint chip.

amy gretchen said...

its really great you have started to find a love for reading. i go in stages in my life when i don't. i think i don't because i would rather be doing something else with my time, plus i am never able to find something i really love. i need to get back on the reading program its so good for me.

TX Girl said...

I have to read- to escape my own reality. However, sometimes that can backfire on you- for instance the book the Kite Runner comes to mind. Totally fabulous, but mind numbing depressing! I also think it is important for kids to see you reading- I have a girlfriend that reads all the time and her children are also voracious readers. I have always thought that might be part of why they love to read. Or, maybe I am trying to feel better about neglecting my child while I read?

I usually use a bill or some piece of mail to mark my spot. However, several books are dog eared throughout. I guess I should invest in something. I love Tasha's idea.

Anonymous said...

The picture is of me with my Grandpa Egan. I use anything handy for bookmarks -- right now it is my used airline schedule. Glad you are enjoying the reading. I think it is great therapy and am always looking for a good book to read.