Pages

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My 200th Post!
Wow, this will be the 200th time this year that I have sat down to document my day, feelings, memories, hopes, dreams etc. this year. Thanks to my friend Jill who introduced me into the blogging world I can say that I am a better person.
I would love to write 200 things on some subject for this post but not the week for me. (see I am taking ya'll's advice and not trying to do everything) But instead I decided to post one of my most favorite photos that I have of my husband.
In 2002 Jeff went on a 2 week medical mission to Nigeria. It was life changing for him and for me. We both learned so many things. The above photo is a family who came back to thank him for the surgery that he performed on their son and to thank him they brought him a pineapple. Since then pineapples have been such a symbol for our family of gratitude as well as a sign of hospitality (the traditional meaning, especially in the south)
Since that time we have taken pineapples to families on Christmas eve with a big red ribbon on them, sybolizing our gratitude to them and our love for them. I just took two pineapples to the ladies I visit teach last week. I love to eat them and look at them and they make the best gift. (I also have given them to my friends who have babies with a big pink or blue bow on them, what a yummy post delivery treat)

So Jill if I could fed ex you a pineapple today I would, thank you for welcoming me into your beautiful world.
... side note for any of my friends who want to start a blog, call or email me. I will do for you what jill did for me and help you set one up!

7 comments:

jenny said...

What a great photo. I remember when you sent this in your christmas cards one year. Doug wants to take the kids on a medical mission when they are old enough to see how GREAT of life that they have here!

Congrats on the 200th post by the way!

Elisa said...

Maybe you know this story, but if not I wanted to share it. When I was in Newport RI pineapples were huge. Lots of people had them on their porches as doorknockers or whatever. I was told the tradition came from long ago when sea captins came back from their voyages. They would put a pineapple on their porch when they were rested, and ready to accept visitors.

I love it that it means so much more personally to your family. What a wonderful tradition!

everything pink! said...

Elisa, i actually have heard the same story .

As well at southern plantations. when a home owner wanted their guest to leave they would stick a pineapple at the bottom of their bed letting them know it was time to go.
Girl did you get a blog.,

TX Girl said...

Can I steal your pineapple idea? I love it. Pineapple is one of those special treats that we only get when we really want to splurge.

Congrats on your 200 post. I cannot believe you made it so quickly.

TX Girl said...

I wish I had known you were up this late- I would have given you a call.

Jill said...

What a great picture and what a great post. Congratulations on your 200th post, that's so cool. I love the pineapple story and love that you have a great tradition like that.

Tasha said...

Its a dream of mine to take Evie out of school for a year when she is in Jr high and go around the world doing medical and humanitarian missions. The 5 days in Baton Rouge changed my life, I can only imagine that this experience was the same for your family. I love that picture of Jeff, I am so glad you shared it. A favorite quote from (I think Thomas Jefferson) is "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." I try to live by that, but how amazing of your family to make such a sacrifice, that is certainly not Kansas anymore Toto!
Tasha