Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006

to the naked eye, this turkey would look burned, but to the well trained southern eye you would recognize that this turkey has been deep fat fried.

Here is the low down on the incredible, wonderful day!

Our friends injected and deep fat fried our turkey in peanut oil for us this year. Scott is an expert and makes his own spices from scratch. The turkey was amazing!

here is what it looked like cut. it looked like a cinnamon roll with all the seasoning perfectly swirled inside. (doesn't this make you want to visit us for next year!!)


I made Barb's stuffing with the wonderful Bell's seasoning. I just love pulling out this box every year.

We did our Thanksgiving tradition of starting off the meal with three m&m's. We start at one end of the table and say something we are thankful for and then eat an m&m. We go around the table until everyone has said three things.
I love doing this to hear what everyone says, but most of all because I got this tradition from my friend Mindy (who will be on Oprah next Monday) and every year I think of her while we are doing it. Her family uses raisins... so me to use m&m's instead.

My friend Nicole had me come over to her house at 7:30 this morning so she could teach me how to make rolls. The gift she has given me.. oh my. I went back at 2:00 to learn how to roll them out. This is the first time I have made rolls in my life. I am so grateful to her for teaching me.

I made Michelle's yummy toffee apple dip. Our only fruit of the day. It was oh so good.

We also had the famous Cram Cheese ball to snack on all day.

I love making two things every year. The homemade cranberry sauce and the melting the butter into the celery for the stuffing. To me that feels like Thanksgiving!

We took a little break from cooking before dinner and went to Starbucks to get some peppermint hot chocolate. It was raining all day so our fun walk to the lake was foiled by the weather.

But the best part of the day had to be that we spent it with family. David & Lenessa have been here all week and it has been wonderful. They are newlyweds (see her incredible wedding photo here) and so much fun to be around! We have been exploring the city together and eating lots of food since they have been here! Thanks you guys for coming!
These are the Sausage phyllo cups we make for breakfast every year. David and Jeff got started on breakfast the night before.

Since we made so much food, I thought it would be fun to list all the things we made this year to remember for next year.
  • Cram Cheese ball
  • Chez Moi Apple dip
  • Filo sausage cups
  • Deep Fat fried turkey
  • maple apple turkey breast that we soaked in a special brine all night
  • cranberries
  • Lizzy's orange butter
  • Hunter Rolls
  • Barb's Stuffing
  • Carrot Souffle
  • Candied yams, emphasis on the candied
  • Garlic Mashed potatoes
  • David's yummy gravy
  • Raspberry Orange Jello
  • Lime Coconut Southern Buttermilk Pie
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Jumbleberry Pie (thanks to Marie C.)
Wow what a great day that ended with some of the family going to see Santa Claus 3.

12 comments:

jenny said...

Sounds like a wonderful fun filled day. Happy Thanksgiving and black friday!

Anonymous said...

That menu looks to die for! We deep fry turkey as well and it is the only way to go! Happy Thanksgiving!

melanie said...

What a list of food! I love to see it all finished, right before it gets devoured!

Glad you had a wonderful day, you deserved every minute!

Anonymous said...

How can I be hungry again so soon? Your photos looked delicious. You are quite a cook. You should produce a cookbook of all your traditions. Cafepress??
I agree with Hannah-fried turkey is the only way to go.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Jill said...

I love all the pictures of your day, everything looks so good. I'm always amazed at how you guys have a circle of friends wherever you move. You've only been there a few months and yet you're surrounded with friends, that's such a gift.

Tasha said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kristi! It sounds like a great day!

Kristen said...

Can we come to your house next year!?!?! The food looks so good!!! Sounds like your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Thanks fo sharing!

Anonymous said...

sounds and looks like your day was wonderful. everything looks delicious! fun traditions.

michelle said...

Yeah, I'm coming to your house for Thanksgiving next year! The turkey looks amazing, and I am totally intrigued by the lime coconut buttermilk pie! Your friend really did give you a gift by teaching you to make rolls.

Anne said...

That menu sounds delicious. I've always been curious about deep fried turkey. That picture makes it look incredible!

Unknown said...

Kristi-
Have you tried the Caramel Apple Cider from Starbucks? SO TASTY!

I have never had a deep fat fried turkey before. I am just a western girl through and through I guess...LOL! Woul love to try one sometime though.

When will be posting some ideas for your Visiting Teachees for Christmas?

Bond Girl 007 said...

ohhhh i am hungry...i can't believe we missed out on thanksgiving this year...ended up eating steak in carvers...it was tasty...but this looks so much better!