Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

some recent library books.

I had checked out a slew of books at the library for my D.C. class and was thrilled to flip through them all this past week. I know there are some of you coming to D.C. this summer and these would be great ones to pick up.
this is a great kids book that talks about the Vietnam memorial. Really great.
this is the second time I have checked out this book and I love it. Before going to any art museum I suggest getting a book on the museum and looking at what you will be looking at. It makes the adventure much more enjoyable. This one is about the Natioal Portrait Gallery.
I am hoping to get to the Hirshorn Museum this summer and have been looking through a great book on that this week.
This book is from the same author as my Benjamin Franklin book. I am amazed at how much you can learn from this author's children books. I like the Ben Franklin one more but still picked up a few trivia facts about the great President Lincoln.
The FDR memorial is full of symbolism! chuck full! I had not read anything about it before going and now after reading this I can't wait to go back. If you only get to go once read as much as you can before you go. There are 4 sections representing his 4 terms. This man was amazing. Reading this was like a mini history lesson on WWII, something I know so little about.

So I will be adding these to my "So you want to teach your kids about D.C." gallery.

9 comments:

Traci said...

Thanks for these fun and interesting book ideas! This will make our trip to DC fun by the kids having learned a few things before arriving. I will definatley have to check some out. Never really thought about doing something like that before especially for the kids. My husband and I will look up stuff on the internet, but that isn't always interesting and without pictures for the kids.
I too have been enjoying the library, although I think my kids are the ones with all the books, I usually just get myself one.

Sarah said...

Hey Kristi! Our friend Jenn decided to give you a shout out on her blog by giving you a Rockin' Girl Blogger award. I don't have her linked to my blog yet but you can get to her's through Julia even though she was MY BFF all through elementary. She's a cutie so check her blog out and say hi!

Kathleen said...

I visited my sister in DC about 3 years ago and the FDR Memorial was my favorite. I'm going to look for this book so I can learn more about it. I recommend this monument be on the top of everyone's list when the visit DC

patsy said...

kristi~love your blog! Just started blogging & read your blog everyday. You are amazing! love all the ideas & sharing Thanks! check me out at sixandholding.blogspot.com
My husband's grandfather was buried in Arlington with full military honors 3 summers ago. One of our best ever family trips!Such an honor. I would love to live there for a time and have all your great experiences, enjoy. Thanks again for sharing!

Rachel said...

I really appreciate all the tips. My kids and I have been having a blast learning more US history this summer. We read Abe and his Hat tonight and it was perfect, becase it also helped me explain to the kids what daddy does(lawyer). ANYWAY, thanks again for more great ideas! Oh, and I watched the Holiday this week and LOVED it!

Laura said...

I really want to visit D.C since reading your blog. I'll be printing out your ideas! Thans so much for the inspiration like always!

Shawna B. said...

I agree! Cheryl Harness is a great author! We have her Ben Franklin book, too, as well as several others. You should check out her book, "Remember the Ladies - 100 great American Women." It's very fun reading and I think Annie Kate would especially enjoy it.

Isn't living in (near) DC the best? We are heading up on the 4th! Can't wait!

michelle said...

I love looking at your library books. Such a great idea. You inspire me to check out books for me again, it's been a long time since I got anything that wasn't for the kids!

Anonymous said...

Love your comment about the 80's. Only becuase the feeling is mutual. I loved the 80's!! I even on occasion torture my children with 80's music. Sorry to read that you have the flu at your house. We have strep!