Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

this week's challenge:
is to look around your home and help us showcase the history and folklore of America!


I am sure silhouettes are not American folklore by any means. But it reminds me of early American history. I love having silhouettes of my kids and plan to get new ones this year at the Craft Fair at Mt. Vernon this year. (my being in the family photo on the wall is counting as my SPT this week)
You can see a peek at my curtains I made in my family room. They are red and white checked. I love decorating with Red an love Red and white checks. I am always on the search for the perfect chair to recover in a great red check. This also has nothing to do with Americana I guess but for me worth mentioning.
This is a print we have of Mt. Vernon (George Washington's home in Virginia). We have loved our many visits to Mt. Vernon this year.
I do not spend a lot of money on art, this was a $5.00 postcard like item in the gift shop they I came home and put in a frame
This hangs in my living room a Goodwill find of all finds. It was $2.97. It is George Washington with his dog (Great kids book)
Anyone know the name our current President's Dog? I will send 11.5 yards of yummy ribbon to the first one who answers. (no googling allowed)

these were the cupcakes I made on Sunday for our dinner
we have with our Church Congregation once a month.
(oh my Sunday was amazing, I have got to take time to write about it)

This is a BW photo wall I am trying to make going down our stairs. One of my favorite items is the mini - super mini flag quilt given to me by my friend Chanel for my birthday. I treasure this item!
the front door of my house. We live in a row type house and don't really have anywhere to hang a flag. I have these flags hanging right now in my flat as a pancake basket.

and my favorite family photo hanging in my home is my Christmas card photo from lat year. I have high hopes to have each year in front of a D.C. landmark and this year was the capitol. (we took 183 photos to get this one)

29 comments:

stefanie said...

Great Post. I think the dog is Barney. After I post this I am going to google to find out for sure.

Unknown said...

oh, my word. 183 photographs for one shot?!? your girls must have the patience of angels...

everything pink! said...

lelly, no i just have a camera that takes photos really, really fast!

everything pink! said...

Stefanie!
woo hoo! you win! of course a dog expert like you would know.

we got special barney stickers when went to the white house.

stefanie said...

YEAH! When I went to check my answer (promise I didn't cheat!!), I also saw that there is also Miss Beazley, who looks nearly identical to Barney. There was also a dog named Spot, who passed away in 2004.

Lauralee said...

I love the pictures.. how you frame cheap things.. very neat look!
heh, I have to say I went to the dollar store for the first time here in my new area.. and found some hats.. now if I can figure out how to make as cute as bows as you did... I will be set! thanks for the tips!

Holly said...

Loved all your pics--especially the one of your sweet girls in front of the Capitol!
Great idea of framing postcards. I've been meaning to try that.

Anna said...

Everything you posted looks Americana to me! Great SPT!

Mrs. McDaniel said...

seriously could that christmas picture be any cuter? I have lots of americana themed decor but nothing as cute as yours!

Rachel said...

A great post! I am ordering that book, along with a couple others today! My summer learning with the kids will be on AMERICA! Thanks for the idea! A gorgeous picture of the girls...and I love that it took so very many shots to get one!

Jill said...

I knew this post would be an easy one for you, but how cool is it that you just had to look around your house for so many great ideas? I love the photos and definitely want to see a closer picture of your photo wall.

Michelle Alley said...

Love your kids photo - it's true it often takes many photos to make one great one! The photo of George Washington - this is a book? I just love the way it was drawn and would love to find a copy of it.

Angie said...

Great pictures of your Americana stuff. I knew this would be a breeze for you. Love it all.

Missy said...

love your americana!
missy

Lindsay said...

That picture of the girls is gorgeous. Don't you love digital. 183 pictures--no problem.

I think I may just have to stop reading your blog because it makes me too sad. You keep posting about all the things I meant to do (i.e. pictures in front of landmarks) but never did. Sad to have regrets so do your best to make sure you don't. I guess I will just have to come back and visit. Someday.....

Rachel said...

your house is always darling! I am LOVING the BW wall. Oh so cute!!!

Lindsay said...

We were in Bristow (just outside of Manassas) for two years. We moved to Utah last August.

I loved the east! And if money were not a consideration, I would live there for the rest of my life (because if I had lots of money I could afford a house, trips back to the west, and a summer vacation home somewhere else to escape the humidity). But since that isn't likely to happen anytime soon....I live in Utah.

We did get to do and see a lot but as you know there is so much that we couldn't do it all. I also did not use my time as wisely as you seem to be doing. I thought we would be there longer and I tend to be a bit of a homebody anyway.

Elizabeth said...

Love all the shots you got. That photo of the girls is adorable.

Barb said...

I love art that is personal and meaningful! And no doubt Stefanie didn't cheat on the dog name - no way she googled and was still first to comment!

Elisa said...

I love getting a glimpse of your home, and how you have decorated. I have always admired your sense of style.
Your package arrived yesterday, this isn't an official thank you, but I wanted you to know it arrived safe and sound and I am SO thrilled with it!!
Tonight Miriam asked me to read "Growing Up" with her...the Mary Engelbreit book you and Jeff gave me for my high school graduation. You have always been so great to me!

Karen said...

OK, so I am back and ready to hit the town with you!!! I need to just be in your presence and soak up all your creativity--I am trying to decorate our house and wish I had your brain :o) We'll be in touch, Jer starts tomorrow!!!!! Yikes...

kara jayne said...

Everything is so great! I want you to know that you are welcome at our pool ANYTIME...and I'm not kidding! WE LOVE VISITORS!!!

Laurie said...

I second Jill's interest in seeing a closer up of the photo wall. I am currently putting together a "legacy wall" with photos of our parents and great grandparents, grandparents etc showcasing them as missionaries, servicemen, pioneers, parents, teachers, etc to show my kids the great heritage they have. I need all the inspiration I can get on how to lay it out!

Buffy said...

Love your post. The pictures are awesome. The Christmas card photo was so good. I can't believe you took 183 pictures. You are the queen of patience!!

Ryann said...

Kristi, you're a kindred spirit. Your blog inspires and is a treat to read. Red and white check against yellow....so Eastern and the silhouettes remind me of living in Virginia. I found your blog by chance and just wanted to say thanks for brightening so many people's day!

everything pink! said...

Ryann.
Thanks for your kind words, i could not link to your blog to say thank you but i will do so here.
I love the spelling of your name.

annalisa said...

I knew I would find the best Americana feel on your blog. I love the picture of your girls. It was worth 183 takes.

michelle said...

Love the silhouettes. Your Christmas card photo is the cutest thing ever! What a great tradition you have started with the monuments, I should have known...

carlo said...

i am in love with all of your americana, of course. my cass made a little flag for me and i need to frame it-- oh and i agree-- framing postcards or cards is a great treat and one i do, too.

183 pics huh? i usually feel like we have taken that many! i LOVE that shot. adorable and a keeper for sure!